Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
MARY CLEASBY

I am looking for the marriage of Mary Cleasby and William Metcalfe born 24 - 01 - 1830 in Arkendale Yorkshire and died 23 - 01 - 1907 in NEW diggings Lafayette Wisconsin. this information was given by another researcher who I have not been able to contact.
William Metcalfe was born 1830 in Pickhill, Sinderley Yorkshire married Ann Parker Apr - Jun - 1856 in Sheffield Vol 9c Page 418 and died 11 - 11 - 1902 age 72 in Sheffield Vol 9C 345.
Ann Parker was baptized 16 - 04 - 1837 in Attercliffe Yorkshire and died December 1887 age 52 Vol 9c Page 337.
I have found no record of Mary Cleaslby.
My Very best wishes.
Fred Wheatcroft

Re: MARY CLEASBY

Hi Fred,

There is a possibility they whomever you got the information from may have confused place of birth i.e. Arkendale nr Knaresborough and Arkengarthdale Yks nr Reeth.

Mary Ann Cleasby (Arkengarthdale) born 1830 married Thomas Longstsaff 1st July 1862. Said she was from Filmington. Her father John was a carrier.

On the census for Arkendale there is certainly a Cleasby family but no MARY born 1830.

If William married ANN in 1856 he would have been 26. Have you found him on the census for 1861?

There is a tree on Family Search with the Cleasby family moving around including
Arkengarthdale and Leeds.

Seems a bit hit and miss.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Have a look at FreeREg. St Mary Arkengarthdale has been transcribed but its rather odd. Mary Ann would have only been 11 when she married. BUT FMP has a copy and she was 32. I wonder if this is Mary.

Hi Fred,

I am also having difficulty matching the GRO references you gave.
I have checked FreeBMD also and not pulling anything up.

Elaine.

Back again Fred.

It was the spelling of Metcalf(e) that was the problem.

METCALFE, William (Bachelor, age 26, Joiner, residing at Spital Hill).
Married Anne PARKER, on April 14, 1856, by Robert Stephenson (Banns) at
Holy Trinity, Wicker. Father's name is Francis Metcalfe (Labourer).
Married in the presence of Wm Bone,Mary Ann Beresford (mark).

Elaine.

There are family trees at Ancestry for Mary Cleasby.
One at least claims this 1907 burial record at New Diggings, Lafayette County is her.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/104188134/mary-stubbs

The tree claims her 1st marriage was to William March (1862 New Diggings Wisconsin).
2nd to Leonard Metcalfe (1871, place not stated)
3rd to William Stubbs (1873, place not stated).

I haven't verified the validity of these claimed connections & you need to do your own research.

Hi Elaine,
Thank you very much for your very kind reply.
It does look like I have been led up the garden path, I think That Mary may have married a different William Metcalfe. I have further checked the two children from the marriage and their mothers name is given as Ann so I am thinking this must be William Metcalfe and Ann Parkers children.
My very best wishes.
Fred Wheatcroft.

Hi Terry.
Thank you very much for your very kind reply.
I think that Mary must have married a different William Metcalfe.
My very best wishes.
Fred Wheatcroft.