Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Enoch Booth

Hi

My 2xgreat grandfather, Enoch Booth, died at Mill Lane, Attercliffe in 1879. Does anyone know whereabouts in Attercliffe Mill Lane was?

Plus, do the letters P.M. after cause of death on his death certificate stand for Post-mortem?
If so, is it possible to access a copy and, if I can, where would I go to access it?

Many Thanks
Carol

Re: Enoch Booth

Hi Carole,

BOOTH, ENOCH 44
GRO Reference: 1879 J Quarter in SHEFFIELD Volume 09C Page 323

If it was an unexpected death there wo uld have to have been a P.M. What was the cause of death?

I am looking at an Alan Godfrey map for Attercliff. There are a number of Mills in the area as well as a Mill Dam.

Mill Lane I believe is a lane that leads to a Slitting Mill. and runs from Oaks Green. It is still there not much on it by the looks of it.My A to Z map book its on page 88 if you have the same book. Not far from Attercliffe Cemetery.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Hi Carol

I suspect That Mill Lane became Weedon Street.

White's Directory of Sheffield & Rotherham 1879 lists Mill Lane in Attercliffe. It runs from Attercliffe Common in a north-westerly direction, and is intersected by:
Bright Street
Dunlop Street
Short Street
Carbrook Street
A Congregational Chapel
and lastly to Brightside Bridge.

If you look at the map https://maps.nls.uk/view/125650762
You will see in this map surveyed 1890-1891, that Weedon Street mathches the route with the Congregational Chapel being located between Carbrook Street and Brightside Bridge

Kind regards

Leipzig

Hi Carol

Just to reinforce my theory. the 1879 Directory gives the listing for Short street as follows:

Short Street. (216 Carbrook st.)
47 Brawn M. K. shopkpr. & beer rtlr

----------------------------

56 Fellows Joseph, shopkeeper and beer retailer

..........Mill Lane..........

Kind regards

Leipzig

Not found a burial yet has anyone else?

This site's burials, foreame variation:
BOOTH, Enock (blast furnace man, age 44).
Died at 117 Mill Lane; Buried on July 1, 1879 in Unconsecrated ground;
Grave Number 1075, Section B of Attercliffe Cemetery, Sheffield.

Leipzig
Hi Carol

Just to reinforce my theory. the 1879 Directory gives the listing for Short street as follows:

Short Street. (216 Carbrook st.)
47 Brawn M. K. shopkpr. & beer rtlr

----------------------------

56 Fellows Joseph, shopkeeper and beer retailer

..........Mill Lane..........

Kind regards

Leipzig
Sheffield Daily Telegraph 11th September 1886
Notification of Street Name Changes:

Present Name of Street: Mill lane
Situation: Attercliffe common
Name to be Altered to: Weedon street

Kind regards

Leipzig

Hi Carol

White's Directory of Sheffield & Rotherham 1891 has the following for Weedon Street:

..........Dunlop street..........
117 Ferguson Mrs Louise, shopkpr
..........Short street..........

So unless there was a renumbering of the properties on Weedon Street (formerly Mill Lane), 117 Mill Lane was located on Weedon Street between Dunlop Street and Short Street.

Kind regards

Leipzig

Hi

Many thanks everyone for your responses: -

Elaine, I have his death certificate and the cause of death was cancer of the liver. That's why I wonder what the P.M. stands for as it wasn't a sudden or unexpected death.

Leipzig, thank you, I think it's undeniable that Mill Lane became Weedon Street. One of Enoch's daughters, Harriett Booth, married my great-grandfather, Edward Fordie, in 1892 and, at the time, Edward was living on Short Street; so, it all fits.

Terry, well found. I should have thought to look under alternative spellings as his name was misspelt as that on a census return. I'm surprised his wife isn't buried with him as she never re-married.

Thanks again
Carol

Carol
"Elaine, I have his death certificate and the cause of death was cancer of the liver. That's why I wonder what the P.M. stands for as it wasn't a sudden or unexpected death."

In 1879 the only way they could know he had cancer of the liver would be by performing an autopsy (PM).
Dave

Thanks Dave

Hi Carol,

Even if a death is totally expected, the coroner can decide to do an autopsy if the deceased hadn’t seen a doctor within a certain period preceding the death. My late father was sent home from hospital for palliative care. His GP should have visited him, but was on holiday and the locum failed to make the visit. When dad finally passed away it was more than 2 weeks since he’d seen a doctor and I had to describe his final moments to the coroner so he could decide whether or not to do a PM.

Heths