Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sarah Ann Morris/ Hammonds/Walker

Hi I wonder if anyone could help me with Sarah Ann Morris born at Wicker lane 1848 Sheffield. Parents are Ann nee Swallow and William Morris. Sarah Ann married David Hammonds in 1865 and they have 8 children. David died Sheffield 1884. In that same year Sarah Ann married George Walker born about 1853. They have 2 sons George and William Sarah Ann Dies July 1918. This is where my problem start I cant find her death. I'm sure this is her grave wrongly registered or transcribed Mary Ann Walker.

Tinsley Park Cemetery,
grave SA 154 nc/gp
Walker Mary Ann 11th Jul 1918, age 69 wife of George 2-2 Milford Street.

Hammonds Rachel 30th Mar 1904, age 19 wife of Solomon, 20 Carbrook St, Carbrook

Hammonds Solomon 4th Oct 1913 aged 43, Labourer 334 Dunlop Street, Carbrook.

The above all makes sense except the Mary bit. date and age and address
Solomon is definitely Sarah Ann's son born in 1870 and Rachel (nee Brown) is Solomon's young wife.

Free bmd
Deaths Sep 1918
Walker Sarah A 69 Wakefield 9c 28
This is the only Sarah Ann Walker I can find that died in 1918 in all West Yorkshire nothing for Sheffield but why Wakefield? Could this be her. I hope this all makes sense, I don't want to send for her death cert until I'm more convinced it is her any help or info will be greatfully received

Re: Sarah Ann Morris/ Hammonds/Walker

(bb code and html allowed) Hi Lorraine are you sure you have the right Sarah Ann Morris? The 1911 census shows her born 1843. MORRIS, SARAH ANN SHEPHERD
GRO Reference: 1845 D Quarter in SHEFFIELD Volume 22 Page 537

Hi,

I have her on the 1911 census as Sarah Ann Walker at 2ct 2h Milford St but her age
is listed as 68 yrs.

Dob Dec qtr 1848 Sheffield 22 550. MMN Swallow.

I would say that the error has occurred on the Burials. I would check with City Road Bereavement Services and see if they can help.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Sheffield Independent, Sheffield, England
Friday, Aug. 15, 1884
"The Boiler Explosion at Tinsley" Sarah Ann Hammond (sic) gave evidence in connection with the death of her husband David.
There were multiple fatalities.

So she was definitely known as Sarah Ann then.

“ I'm sure this is her grave wrongly registered or transcribed Mary Ann Walker.”
The transcription is correct.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-89F6-WJRQ?i=410&cat=506608
Image 411, record 16879 11 Jul 1918 (burial?), Mary Ann Walker, 69, wife of George Walker, 2-2 Milford St. Interred S.a 154 N.C.
A George Walker is buried at Tinsley in 1924, and may be your George.
Image 596, record 20472. 28 Feb 1924 (burial?, 70, labourer, 42 Milford St. Interred SA 85 G.P.

Lorraine
It is clear from the evidence that you have the right burial and the right death reg (in Wakefield) but something has gone wrong with her age and, on burial, with her name. It would also seem, if Terry has the correct burial for George, that something went wrong with his age too.
In March 1915 the South Yorkshire Asylum at Wadsley was emptied of all its inmates to become a War Hospital. The inmates were transferred to other asylums in Yorkshire, of which Wakefield was one.
If Sarah Ann was committed to an asylum anytime after 1911 she may have ended up in Wakefield Asylum. She would enter through the Sheffield Workhouse and her age and address details would be provided by whoever took her there (her son?). It that age was wrong, then it would remain wrong. If she died in the Wakefield Asylum her death would be registered in Wakefield. The asylum would inform Sheffield Workhouse and they would inform her family to arrange burial. She would be transferred from Wakefield to Tinsley and presumably her name went wrong in that registration at Tinsley.
I believe you can confidently purchase the Wakefield death cert.
Dave

I wonder if there is a headstone and if so what does it say?

Hi guys thankyou for all your help, I feel much more confident now. I was sure it was her in the grave, but the Wakefield bit throw me. Thankyou again I appreciate your help.

Hi Terry I did know about the boiler explosion but not much, could I possible ask you for any info you have on it. is there any info on the evidence Sarah Ann gave etc

Brilliant Dave thanks, it all make sense now, cert sent for

Think I've made a mess of replying haha I thought I was replying to you all individually sorry. instead Ive made a string of replies sorry

Thanks Elaine, yes I've got her same as you on 1911 census.

John, Yes I'm curios as to what it says on the head stone. Thats one for Tony, if anyone has found him yet? I might go down and have look next time I'm off work.

Have replied to Lorraine with the lengthy report.

Others in the coroner inquiry:
Edward Johnson (died at infirmary)
Charles Applewhite. 34 years of age, identified by wife Alice Applewhite.
Joseph Merson 38 years of age, identified by wife Ellen Merson

Thankyou Terry, that was very interesting read. I would love to see the whole inquest report,. Do you have any info that would point me in the right direction as where to look

lorraine darwent
Thankyou Terry, that was very interesting read. I would love to see the whole inquest report,. Do you have any info that would point me in the right direction as where to look
In another case I found details at this Ancestry collection: All West Yorkshire, England, County Coroner Notebooks, 1852-1909
But I can't find David Hammond* or the others who died in that record.

The newspapers of the day are your best bet. If you are in Sheffield I see that your libraries have free online access (in the library) to the British Newspaper Archive.
https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/libraries-archives/access-archives-local-studies-library/collections/newspapers

Hi Dave T
Just wanted to let you know you were spot on! death cert proves
Sarah Ann was sent to Wakefield Asylum and died there.
thankyou so much I have been searching for her for years

Lorraine
Great to hear your good news. Thank you for the feedback
Dave