Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New to Sheffield Research

I am just starting to research the Coggins family. My first point of call is Joseph Robert Coggins who married Jessie Marshall in Q1 1932 but I have no idea where other than 'Sheffield' nor any other information. I believe their son (Robert Joseph Coggins) born 1933 may have been educated for his early years in Sheffield. The family later moved south to London/Kent and then Joseph and Jessie returned to Sheffield in the latter years.

I need some help ...................

Re: New to Sheffield Research

Audrey, in the list on the left of this page click on Parish Records. Then at the top of the new page select MARRIAGES. Put COGGINS in the Surname box and Click SEARCH. You will get a list of records. Yours is not far down. If you finally click on SPOUSE MATCH under the correct record you will get on one screen all the info we have about both Bride and Groom. This should allow you to move forward (ie Backwards in time),
Dave

George Thomas Coggins
1878–1916 • L22R-G6H ​​
Marriage Events 1903 Windsor, Berkshire
Henrietta Downing
1878–1955 •
Margaret Jane Coggins
1904–Deceased Robert Joseph Coggins
1905–Deceased • Edward George Coggins
1911–Deceased George Thomas Coggins
Principal
England and Wales Census, 1911

Census 1911
Kiddington, Oxfordshire, England, United Kingdom
Birth 1878
Sunningdale, Berkshire, England, United Kingdom

Spouses Henriette Coggins
Children Margaret Jane Coggins, Robert Joseph Coggins, Edward George Coggins George Coggins
Principal
England and Wales Census, 1881

Census 1881
Old Windsor, Berkshire, England, United Kingdom
Birth 1878
Sunningdale, Berkshire, England

ParentsJoseph Coggins, Jane Coggins (Moss) married 1869 Windsor
Siblings Emma Coggins, Mary Coggins, John Coggins, Edwin Coggins, Alice Coggins

There is a record on Ancestry regarding George Thomas Coggings death in 1916 in the military, but I cannot access it fully.

Joseph Robert Coggins & Jessie Coggins, Bexley Kent electoral register 1939: 125 Gipsy Road.

1939 register
Bexley, 125 Gipsy Road
Joseph R Coggins born 15 May 04 police constable (metro)
Jessie Coggins born 12 Nov 03 unpaid domestic duties
plus one "officially closed" record. Person is too young for info to be disclosed yet.

If you can get access to a Library Edition of Ancestry (many libraries have this), there are some trees for this family. Some have a family photo that includes a young Robert and others include census images (including 1921 where he is with his widowed mother in Sheffield).

Thank you for this.

All the above information and help so generously shared has really kickstarted my research and given me new enthusiasm for the subject. Thank you!