Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Queen Elizabeth II passing

As a monarchist I feel I have to say how sad I am on the Queens passing.

I do remember the day her father passed away even after all this time.

Like many of you I have had the TV on most of the day and shed many a tear.

I hope the Commonwealth doesn't break up. I can't see Canada going that way but I do understand why other countries may chose to do just that.

I think we have to give Charles a chance and long after I am gone William.

Felt the day called for an acknowledgement.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Re: Queen Elizabeth II passing

So well put Elaine, my sentiments also.
Queen Elizabeth II was a wonderful, hardworking and devoted Monarch, mother and wife, she will be missed. I still have a 1953 Coronation coin.

Her Majesty was remembered in my parish church today (Sunday) and then the National anthem was sung in honour of our new King, Charles III. who has some very big boots to fill.

Wendy in Guelph:sleuth_or_spy:

I can remember as a young child being hoisted aloft on my father's shoulders outside Sheffield Town Hall when she visited Sheffield in 1954. Truly an inspirational woman who served with grace and dignity and became the Mother of our hearts. A desperately sad time for her family and for us all. God save the King.

I was also lifted onto my father's shoulders in 1954 but it was outside the Cutlers Hall on Church Street.

There is a photograph of the visit on picturesheffield
Angela

Her Majesty certainly had a busy day that day. Fist being met by the Lord Mayor and Lady Mayoress of Sheffield at the Town Hall, then on to Hillsborough Football Ground where hundreds of school children gathered and gave a display on the football pitch, then rounded off in the evening with an official reception at the Cutler's Hall. Indeed the sketch on Picture Sheffield is beautiful and shows just how many attended. How special.

And I was one of the school children down at Hillsborough. Not very close but I could just see her.

Elaine in Ottawa.

I too saw the Queen, at the time I lived in Pitsmoor and attended Pye Bank school, we were taken down to the Wicker to see her Majesty go by in a car all waving our flags

I thought she would go on forever and it was a very sad day when she passed away