Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Alexander Reed

Thanks to the work of several Sheffield Indexers, I have been able to expand the Reed family history by a considerable amount. However, I haven't been able to assemble much information at all regarding the life of my great great grandfather. He was Alexander Reed, born in London around 1810. He was a shoemaker and probably moved to Sheffield between 1833 and 1843. The mother of his two sons was Rachel Morrison; I don't know if they ever married. The sons were Alexander born in 1833 in London and David, born in Sheffield in 1843. I cannot find Alexander Reed in the census records or in the records of deaths. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Alexander Reed

Rachael Reed is a widow at the 1881 census, born Chelsea, age 78. In the household of David (40) and Mary (42) Reed. House 9, 4 Court Osborne Street, Brightside Bierlow.
There is an 1884 burial record in the Sheffield Indexers collection (age 75 though).
GRO has REED, RACHEL as age 70.

In 1871 there is a Rachel Reed widow age 60, the sister of the householder David Morrison, looks like birthplace Ireland (but not clear).

In 1851 there is David Reed age 8 & Alexander Reed age 17. They are grandsons of Margaret Morrison 65 born Ireland. Rachel Morrison 44 born Ireland is also there. I think it says Mar(ried).

Alexander senior still the mystery.

1841 New Street Sheffield has Margaret Morrison 55. The household includes Rachel Read 30 and Alexander Read 8. Margaret & Rachel born "I". Alexander born out of county.

It seems likely that Alexander was a military man. If he died abroad (Afghanistan,Burma, India?) between 1851 and 1871 there will be very little trace of him in the records
Dave

Alexander was born illegitimate in Westminster in 1833 but baptised in Hull (primitive Methodist) in 1837, father Alexander (Shoemaker of Chelsea), mother Rachel Morrison (of Hull).
If you purchase the birth record for David Reed

REED, DAVID mmn MARRISON
GRO Reference: 1842 D Quarter in SHEFFIELD Volume 22 Page 561

you will get the occupation of his father in 1842.
It is available as pdf for £7.00
Dave

When Alexander Reed (Jnr.)(B:1833/35) married in 1858 to Sarah Longden (see marriage on this website) his father was named as Alexander Reed and occupation shoemaker.
HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Sheffield Independent 7 July 1868 has a report of theft by an "old woman". The case was at Chesterfield. It lists the items including "five shoemaker's irons" "the property of Alexander Reed." Constable "charged her with stealing the shoemaker's tools." "trial at the next Derbyshire assizes".

I can't find the outcome in a quick look around in later issues.

If this is your man, he is still about in 1868. Rachel is a widow in 1871.

Derbyshire Times and Chesterfield Herald July 11 1868, an alternative version of the same case.
The case against Jane Attrell 66 continues.
… the property of Alexander Reid (sic), a tramp, - prosecutor said: I am a shoemaker on the road for work.

Sheffield Independent July 16 1868 (& others)
Jane Attrill aged 67 found guilty. Two months imprisonment … the property of Alexander Reid.

Put this in your possibilities.

Hi I have David Reed's Birth Certificate
He was Born 7th of August 1842 at Little Pond Street
Father Alexander Reed Shoemaker
Mother Rachel Reed Formerly Marrison
Informant: Rachel Reed Mother little Pond Street
hope this helps