Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Corkers Fruit shop

My 3rd great grandfather had a fruit shop in Sheffield and I am trying to find out where it was. His name was Samuel Corker who lived 1845-1917
In the census of 1901 and 1911 he was put down as a fruit hawker.
Kind regards

Ian Hodgson

Re: Corkers Fruit shop

Hi Ian,

If you look over to the left to the index and the 12th one down states Directories. Click on that and then enter Samuel's name in the headings.

There are two that come up. To me I believe a HAWKER would be someone who either has a cart and goes house to house or maybe a stall in the market. Maybe not a shop. He would be a Fruiterer in that case.

Elaine in Ottawa.

I agree he probably had no business premises as a hawker. The whole of his supply chain seem to have been out drinking on Sunday 3rd November 1901.

From Sheffield Daily Telegraph, 16th November 1901:
SUNDAY AFTERNOON TRAVELLING
John Stewart, fruiterer, Tom Naylor, storedealer, and Samuel Corker, hawker, all of Sheffield, were charged with obtaining drink during prohibited hours by falsely representing themselves to be bona-fide travellers. It was stated that the three defendants went out from Sheffield on Sunday afternoon, the 3rd of November, in a one horse phaeton. They called at the Filesmith's Arms,Oughtibridge, which was outside the limit, and then proceeded a mile and some yards on to the Blue Bell Inn at Wharncliffe Side, where Naylor had a beer and the others a whisky each. The landlord of the Blue Ball knew they came from Sheffield, but had he known they had previously called at the Filesmith' Arms he would not have supplied them.
Mr. J.E. Wing, who defended, contended that there were no fraudulent representations, and that defendants were really bona-fide travellers. Were the police to dictate what was reasonable refreshment?
The Bench dismissed the case.

Looking at the side menu 90 Allen Street looks likely, Directory's for Samuel and Rebecca, more modern Corkers as hawkers had stands at Firth Park and Hillsborough.

My great Grandmas Brother in law is Frank Corker. He had a fruit shop named Corkers.

There was a Corkers Fruit & Veg shop on Chapel Walk.