Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Verona Hudson. 1871

Having trouble to locate the 1871 on family search for Verona Ibbotson (b. 1864). It seems there is a link to it on Ancestry. It shows her along with mother Sarah & sister Regina as visitors at Nether shiregreen Yorkshire. They later sailed to New York on 18 May 1871.

Kind regards

Re: Verona Hudson. 1871

Dave, please could you clarify who we are trying to find please Verona Hudson or Verona Ibbotson?

Hi John

It's Verona Hudson. David

Sorry, just noticed I did put Verona Ibbotson!! Senior moment....

Like you having difficulty where was she born? I have found a VeronE Hudson born 1864 living with the Stringer family but she was born at Bolsterstone. Is this her?

Regina is a visitor in the next schedule (DAWSON family), over the page. She was born in Oughtibridge. No sign of their mother.

Hugh

Yes the Verona I was looking at does say Bolsterston 1864. Birth index gives her full name as Verona Sylvia Serephina Phancy Hudson,1863.

Regina's Ancestry 1871 record does say birth Oughtibridge.

Sarah's Ancestry 1871 record say birth Ecclesfield 1840.

All showing as visitor. Very strange.

Sarah is visiting George and Ann LISTER in Ecclesfield. I think Ann (nee THORNTON) may be her sister.

So is the father a farmer called 'Er' Hudson? Sounds like a character from Cold Comfort Farm!

Hugh

Verona Sylvia Seraphina Phancy Hudson
Principal
England, Yorkshire, Parish Registers, 1538-2016

Baptism 4 October 1863
Bradfield, Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom

Parents Er, Sarah

Hi Hugh

Yes Er was the father. He also went to Toronto but must have gone earlier becouse he was not on the boat with the other 3. The family were back in Yorkshire for the 1881 less Verona who died in Toronto.

Yes I think Ann was Sarah,s sister. Perhaps the women possibly staying at seperate addresses prior to sailing?

Ancestry: in the Ontario, Canada, Deaths and Deaths Overseas, 1869-1948

From the registry image:
County of York, Division of Toronto.
No: 609
Name: Verona Hudson
Birth Place: Bradfield, Yorkshire, England
Death Date: 5 Jun 1879
Death Place: York, Ontario, Canada
Religion: Church of England
Cause of Death: Uraemia, 3 months
Name of physician: Dr O S Winstanley
Informant: O S Winstanley M.D.

Doesn't include parents names, or address.

Verona is the daughter of Err Hudson b.1840 and Sarah Thornton b.1838. Err was a Farmer and Manure manufacturer in 1901. The family seemed to move around quite a lot, living initially in Bradfield but then Widnes in Lancashire in 1881, Hartlepool in 1891 and down to Dewsbury in 1901. Err died in Dewsbury in 1908, Sarah had died in 1906 also in Dewsbury. They appear to have had 5 children in total, first born Regina Avis who married a George Taylor, then came Verona but don't know what happened to her after her baptism, then 2 sons Oscar John Brooker b.1864 and died aged 1 year 9 months, Hector Raymond Joseph b.1867 and died aged 14 weeks and lastly Mary b.1869 but can't find anything else for her except her birth registration. A bit difficult to track births after this with all the moving about but don't know how Verona managed to end up in Canada! As you probably gather, this family are in my family tree, Thornton being my paternal grandmother's maiden name.

Wendy W.

I note the death registration image is also at FamilySearch.org

Hi Wendy

Sarah, Verona & Regina left Liverpool aboard SS Cuba bound for New York 18 May 1871. I think Er left earlier becouse he was not with them. There are tax assessments relating to addresses for Er in St Patrick City Toronto 1876 to 1880. The family must have returned, less Verona, to Yorkshire prior to 1881 census. The passenger/ tax records are on family Search but I can send if you wish.

Did not know about Oscar or Mary, so thanks for that.

Regards David

Hi David,
Thanks for that, explains why I couldn't find them in the 1871 census but I have got relatives missing from one census or another that I thought they had just been absent when it was taken, especially when they were in the later ones. I never thought to look on Family Search, I did do a search on FMP but can't find anything on there, will have to look closer.

Glad I could help you with some information for a change!

Wendy

Hi Hugh

Can I ask did you find the Dawson (Regina) & Lister (Sarah) 1871 records on Family Search.

Regards

David