Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
George Simpson

I don't know Sheffield well and I have found that my great great grandad George Simpson and his family lived at 7 Milner's Yard, Fargate in 1851. He was described as a warehouse man and a labourer. I have googled etc and have found Fargate. Can anybody tell me about Milner's Yard? And of course George if you can.

Many thanks

Tony Maxfield

Re: George Simpson

Hi Tony,

Looking at the 1851 census this is how I read it.

Charles Milner was an Ironmonger on Fargate and at the back of his shop there was a yard where two families lived. The Simpsons and Turners. These yards were quite common in Sheffield. I looked at our maps but the only one of any use was the 1823 one. It doesn't show the yard.

Alan Godfrey maps I love as they are very detailed but I am sure are not early enough for your family.

Hope this helps we are always here and willing to help.

Kind regards

Elaine.in Ottawa.

“7” is the enumerator's sequence. You will see on the previous page that the Milners were at 33 Fargate. So presumably the Simpsons were at the back of 33.
If streets & numbering haven't changed, GoogleMaps indicate 33 Fargate is now the address of “Topshop Topman” (next to Marks & Spencer).

To carry on where Terry left off.

Milner, Chas (, Ironmonger).
Address: 33 Fargate, in 1871.
Recorded in: White's Sheffield & Dist. Directory - 1871.

Elaine in Ottawa.

There's an 1804 map showing Charles Milner's yard on PictureSheffield here:
https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;arc04039&prevUrl=
(Fargate runs along the bottom of the map from Barkers Pool on the left)

Thanks everyone