Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Elizbeth Gillatt & Abraham Newton - possible transcription error for marriage

G'day

Hoping for some guidance from the brains trust on here.

Elizabeth Gillatt born about 1821
Abraham Newton born about 1821

Marriage record 25.2.1876 at St Peter & Pauls seems to fit nicely except they had a child in 1849.

Census's 1851 - 1881 has Elizabeth & Abraham together. Abraham is a scissor grinder.

I tried looking for Elizabeth's baptism using various spellings of her last name and there are a couple of possibles.

The marriage record from this site does not mention her parents and Abraham is a spinster. So I can't confirm her birth/baptism. I can't find BANNs on Ancestry either.

I'm wondering if they were actually married in 1846.
Can any one check on other ancestry sites for BANNS and see whether she has any parent's mentioned please? I'm only a member of Ancestry and no other sites.

cheers
Puzzled in Perth

Re: Elizbeth Gillatt & Abraham Newton - possible transcription error for marriage

On this site the marriage record for Elizabeth Gillat (to Abraham Newton) in 1876 gives her father name.
The marriage record for Abraham Newton (to Elizabeth Gillatt) gives his father name.
Dave

Re: Elizbeth Gillatt & Abraham Newton - possible transcription error for marriage

G'day Dave

I tried to add her father's name but could not edit my post. According to the site it's Christopher. Yet to find a baptism for her or an earlier marriage that lines up with the birth of the child. The Marriage Index I've got is 1876 too.

Perhaps they were shacked up and decided to make it legal later on. .....

Hi Leisa,

By using FreeBMD you will see there is no earlier marriage for either of them.

On the 1851 census they are together. Ages do not match your 1821 time frame for Elizabeth. One year old son George.

NEWTON, GEORGE GILLOTT
GRO Reference: 1849 S Quarter in SHEFFIELD Volume 22 Page 612

So you have the correct couple. The marriage certificate is certainly them also.(FMP)

Elaine in Ottawa.

G'day Elaine

No dispute that they were not together. I've got all the census records for both of them, marriage index for both of them. The record on this site has father's name of Christopher and on 1841 Census that might be Elizabeth she's not living at home.

I've searched BMD which is why I wonder if it's a transcription error. As I posted above if the marriage date is correct they were shacked up and George is a *******. :-) which is not altogether uncommon.

No transcription error..... re the marriage cert.....We transcribed what is there.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Thanks for confirmation Elaine.

I now know they were shacked up and George was a *******.
cheers

Name: Mother's Maiden Surname:
NEWTON, GEORGE GILLOTT
GRO Reference: 1849 S Quarter in SHEFFIELD Volume 22 Page 612

Above is the GRO index record for George. He was registered as Newton with MMN Gillott. Therefore he was officially recognised by both parents and therefore legitimate.
Dave

G'day Dave

My understanding is that an illegitmate child is born out of wedlock which is the case with George because his parents married much later. I do have his birth index

cheers

Hi

Sent you an email.