Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hector Hudson & Annie Thorpe

Hector Hudson married a Annie Thorpe 1924 Wortley. Family Search have the marriage with Hector aged 79 (1845) & Annie 34 (1890)... There headstone is on Find a Grave at St Nicholas and gives Annie being born 1841 but looking at the headstone it looks like she was aged 47 at death which would give her birth as 1890. Any help to confirm Annie details appreciated.

Re: Hector Hudson & Annie Thorpe

Hi David, From the Headstone: Annie Hudson died January 25th 1936 aged 47 years.

Will

Morning David,

Mmmmmmm a little head scratching went on here.

My Observations.

Hector DOB Dec qtr 1845 MMN Horsefield. Wortley 22-676
Born Cliffe House where his father Joseph a Farmer of 82 acres and mother Charlotte were in 1851.

Hector remained there through every census with a housekeeper Ruth Wragg. Hector being single.

1924 Dec qtr Hector married Annie Thorpe.

This is where it gets cloudy.

If Annie Died 25th Jan 1928 as per the hard to read headstone on Find a Grave at age 47 giving here a birth date of 1881. There is no death registered in Wortley in 1928 for Annie.

BUT.

June qtr 1930 Wortley 9c 317 there is an Annie aged 66.
also
Dec qtr 1930 Annie L Hudson aged 47 Wortley 9c 313.

Very confusing. I used FreeBMD for deaths 1925 to 1930

Thats my two centsworth Dave. I would go for the marriage cert

Elaine in Ottawa

Hi Elaine

Annie died 25 Jan 1938 confirmed by probate record.

David

Hi Will

Many thanks for confirming. 45 years is a big age gap!!

Hi David, a bit from the headstone: Hector born October 16th 1845, Died October 17th 1926

Will

Hi David,

There is a death on FreeBMD in 1938 which confirms the probate.

Deaths Mar 1938
HUDSON Annie 47 Sheffield 9c 430

One thing that jumped out at me when I was following Hector was I believe it was the 1861 census Hector at Cliffe House Farm lived next door to a Thorpe family who had a daughter Ann. Hector was 15 at the time and Ann was 4. Maybe the Ann that Hector married in 1924 was connected to them and it was a marriage of convenience.
Hector died 1926.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Hi David,

There’s a mention in the Sheffield Independent of 26 Jan 1938.
Says she “...died at 173 Dykes Hall Rd, Hillsborough. Annie, beloved wife of the late Hector Hudson of Bradfield, age 47. Internment Bradfield Church at 3pm”

Heths

Hi David,
I recognized the names in your post. I had done some research into one of my second cousin's family history for her and Annie Thorpe was her great aunt. I have Hector Hudson still alive in 1910 as Annie's father, Joel Thorpe died Sept.8, 1910, and Hector Hudson is named in the probate of Joel's will probated on Nov. 4, 1910. I was more interested in Annie's brother Luther, and going back from her father Joel, so admit, I have nothing to add about the marriage of Hector and Annie, but I know Annie's father was a farmer at Damflask, Bradfield and that the Thorpe family still have a farm in that area called West Nab Farm.
Helen C.

Hi All

Many thanks for the updates. A very big age difference so must have been some kind of marriage convenience for possible financial reasons.

Did Hector leave a will? I can't believe in those days someone would still be single aged 79. Had he any relatives still alive at the time of his marriage?

I wonder if he had fallen out with his family and therfore married Annie so he could pass on his money to her

Hi John

Not sure about will but probate show Hector left £5764 in 1926 and Annie left £5424 in 1938. As far as I have Hector had no siblings left but witness at there wedding seemed to be children of his sister Avis (Hudson) Ellis

David.

Probate is required to administer a will by the named executors. A copy of the will can be obtained for £1:50. They used to cost £10.

If the person who died left a valid will, this will name one or more executors, and it is their responsibility to apply for probate. If there isn't a will, then inheritance rules called the rules of intestacy will determine whose responsibility it is to get probate.

Angela

Annie's probate was granted to Hannah Maria Thorpe, Spinster, and Harry Foster ret travelling salesman
Hannah Maria Thorpe, spinster of 173 Dykes Hall Rd Hillsborough died in 1947 leaving £6458,
probate to Ada foster (wife of Harry Foster) and to a Solicitors clerk
Dave

David.
The 1921 Census has Hector Hudson b 1845 as an Accountant, Head of House in Blackpool. The other 3 people in the house, as visitors, are Sarah Ann Thorpe b 1860, Hannah Thorpe b 1883 and Annie Thorpe b 1889. All four were born Sheffield.
Dave

Hi Dave

Accountant? That's seems to be a bit strange. All census gives Hector as a farmer, even his marriage gives him as a retired farmer.

It actually says Retired Accountant. That is from the transcription, which could be erroneous.
The 1921 Census has been very poorly transcribed according to a couple of reports.
There is no doubt he is your man
Dave

I wonder if the original was actually Retired Annuitant? Only one way for you to find out.
Dave

Hi Dave

Retired Annuitant would sound right...Agree may have to have a look at original.

Regards

David

Hi David et al,
BMD death record for Hector Hudson 1926 Dec.qtr. Wortley. age 81.

Ancestry: Probate record: Death 17th October 1926- of Cliffe Cottage, Bradfield, Ecclesfield, Yorkshire. benificiary: Annie Hudson, Widow
Buried St.Nicholas, High Bradfield. (Annie in same grave)

My two cents worth as to Hector's late marriage in 1924 to Annie Thorpe could be that up to 1915 his housekeeper, Ruth Wragg had been with him, she died 1915 age 57.

HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

David,
I emailed my cousin, who is the great niece of Annie Thorpe, to ask her if there were any family stories about Hector Hudson and Annie Thorpe. As my cousin was born in 1941, these events happened before she was born and though she does remember visiting with great Auntie Anna (Hannah Marie) when she was about 5 years of age, she was not able to shed any light on the marriage of Hector and Annie.
Helen

David,

The name Hector Hudson crops up a bit in the local press:

26 March 1872 Hector Hudson was elected as one of the overseers for the parish of Bradfield. (Sheffield Independent)

5 November 1872 at a concert in Bradfield School a Mr. Hector Hudson sang "After the Opera is over" and "Courting in the rain" and they were well received. (Independent)

1 April 1875 hector Hudson, Holdworth, an inspector of weights and measures. (Sheffield Daily Telegraph)

5 April 1877  Amos Hall and Hector Hudson Bradfield and to be pinders (something to do with impounding stray animals?) (Independent)

15 February 1873 Hector Hudson one of the performers at a concert in the new Oughtibridge club. (Another report the day before said that Hector Hudson's display of "considerable humour" and "much physical energy" caused "great amusement"). (Independent)

24 April 1878 Hector Hudson pinder in Bradfield. (Telegraph)

10 May 1881 Hector Hudson attended a meeting of the Ecclesfield and Bradfield Highway Board (in the White Hart Inn, Oughtibridge). (Independent)

28 March 1882 Hector Hudson re-selected as waywarden (proposed by Henry Ibbotson, seconded by Thomas Wragg - roads were in a very good condition). (Independent)

30 March 1882 Hector Hudson a farmer of Cliffe House, Bradfield nominated as one of the guardians for the Wortley Union (lost to Mr T. Wragg Junior by a long way according to the Independent of 13 April 1882). (Independent)

31 March 1883 Hector Hudson elected waywarden for Bradfield (alongside MR C.V. Bunting) (looking after road maintenance for the parish) (Independent)

28 March 1884 Hector Hudson nominated as one of the waywardens for Bradfield. (Independent)

23 January 1889 "Shocking Discovery at High Bradfield" - Hector Hudson found a man (Thomas Johnson, blacksmith's striker) dying of bloodloss (burst blood vessel in an ulcerated leg). The dying man had lost consciousness and fallen several feet from the road into a field. He was taken to the pub and they did what they could to try to save him by stopping the bleeding and someone with transport volunteered to take him to the infirmary. Mr. Johnson was alive when they were passing the barracks but dead by the time they reached the gates of the infirmary. (Telegraph)

15 February 1905 - Hector Hudson elected secretary of the Bradfield Branch of the Hallamshire conservative and unionist association. (Telegraph)

2 March 1910 Hector Hudson fronted up at the funeral of the widow of Mr P J Hudson at Bolstertone. (Telegraph)

26 January 1938 death notice for Annie "beloved wife of the late Hector Hudson, of Bradfield" died age 47 burial at Bradfield church on the Friday. (Died 23 January at 173 Dykes Hall road). (Independent)

Cheers,

Andrew P.

Hi Andrew. Many thanks for all the info, a good insight into Hector.

Hi Helen

Thanks for taking the time to contact your cousin, greatly appreciated

Regards

David

Another couple of snippets around Hector.

WRAGG. —On April 1, at Cliffe House, Bradfield, Ruth Wragg, in her 58th year. Interment at Bradfield on Monday, at o’clock.
03 April 1915 - Sheffield Daily Telegraph - Sheffield, Yorkshire, England

HUDSON'.—In loving memory Hector, the dearly loved husband Annie Hudson, Cliffe House, Bradfield, who passed away October 17th, 1926. Sweet remembrance. —From his loving Wife.
17 October 1927 - Sheffield Daily Telegraph - Sheffield, Yorkshire, England

Dave