Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
St Symons Church

Can anyone tell me if this building still exists or where it was please.

Re: St Symons Church

Details here:
https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/19257-we-thought-we-had-it-hard/#comment-160000

Briefly - Eyre Street, demolished following Blitz damage

William,

There was a church called St Simon's (with an "i" not a "y" though) on Eyre Street, which was converted and/or extended from an old non-conformist chapel or meeting house in the 1860s. It is now gone and I am not sure exactly where it was (maybe close to where Jurys Inn is now?). As far as I can tell it seems to drop off the radar around 1940 (baptism and marriage registers 1856-1940 are held in Sheffield City Archives).

Cheers

Andrew.

Andrew Pearson
William,

There was a church called St Simon\'s (with an \"i\" not a \"y\" though) on Eyre Street, which was converted and/or extended from an old non-conformist chapel or meeting house in the 1860s. It is now gone and I am not sure exactly where it was (maybe close to where Jurys Inn is now?). As far as I can tell it seems to drop off the radar around 1940 (baptism and marriage registers 1856-1940 are held in Sheffield City Archives).

Cheers

Andrew.
Hi Andrew

The Church was on the site of the current brick building, which is situated at the corner of what is now Eyre Street and Matilda Street (sandwiched between the Jurys Inn and Matilda Street). For many years this brick building housed the company of T. C. Vere Ltd certainly up until the 1980s or so. It then housed a funeral business, then a training centre, and has been used for other purposes since then.

A picture of the church which was on Eyre Street can be found:
http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~mossvalley/genealogy/mv2/wo/050yr/st-simon.jpg

The road in the picture running down the side of the church towards the rear of it, is Matilda Street.

Kind regards

Leipzig

Morning William,

We have transcribed St Simon parish registers (1856-1940) It was bombed in 1940 and later demolished. The parish united with St Mary Bramall Lane.

Elaine in Ottawa.