Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Miss Rawson's little School at Brown House Bradfield

I have details that an Elizabeth Hudson (lived at Hobb Lane) went to Miss Rawson's little School in Bradfield. Elizabeth later became a teacher at the School around about 1895. Anything on the School and Elizabeth is appreciated.

Re: Miss Rawson's little School at Brown House Bradfield

Hi David,

Have you tried Malcolm Nunn at Bradfield Archives and their site also.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Hello David,
There are some photos of Brown House, Bradfield on Picture Sheffield website, it does not mention any school.
HAPPY HUNTING :sleuth_or_spy:

David,

A family called Rawson lived in Brown House (or part of it) for decades, and it looks like they carried on some education activity. That might have been done on a very small scale and without any advertising.

1861 census
54 Brown House private
Joseph Rawson 43 retired schoolmaster from Derbyshire Temple Normanton
Alice ditto 37 Wife from ditto Brampton
Emma ditto 11 Scholar from ditto Bamford
Next schedule is “ditto” occupied by an agricultural labourer and his family.

1871 census
Brown House Farm and Private School
Joseph Rawson head married 52 landowner of 8 acres and retired schoolmaster from Normanton Derbys
Alice ditto wife married 45 wife ditto from Brampton Derby
Emma ditto daughter unmarried teacher of ladies school from Bamford ditto
next schedule is Brown House occupied by an agricultural labourer and his family.

Sheffield Independent - Saturday 02 January 1875
Deaths … Rawson. — Dec. 29, Emma, daughter of Mr. Joseph Rawson, of Brown House, Bradfield, aged 24.

1881 census
Bradfield
Joseph Rawson head married 63 retired schoolmaster from Temple Normanton
Alice ditto wife married 57 from Brampton

1891 census
Brown house inhabited by two families, including:
Joseph Rawson Retired Certf. Teacher and Alice Rawson Wife.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Hello Elaine

I am re-visiting a story that Malcolm had sent me regarding Florence Hudson & Henry Ibbotson after coming across an Ibbotson family on the 1939 at an address linked to the story and which the story also included the school.

Hello Andrew

Many thanks for info, greatly appreciated.

David

Hello Wendy

Many thanks for link

David

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=19a98adf71902539a44e2c9a025dd688f68477d222972f4cdfad09ef9ddcf280JmltdHM9MTY1ODQ5Nzc2NCZpZ3VpZD0yMGE3MzlkZC02N2E3LTRkM2QtYThiYS1iMTRmNTA0N2U1ZWEmaW5zaWQ9NTI5Ng&ptn=3&fclid=184b18fb-09c5-11ed-b0aa-da4ba1c9dae3&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly9tZWRpYS5yaWdodG1vdmUuY28udWsvNmsvNTUwMC8xMTQzNTI5NjQvNTUwMF8xMDAwNDEwMTY4MjVfRE9DXzAwXzAwMDAucGRm&ntb=1

Hi David, Not sure if above link will work but it is the present day Brown House at Bradfield sitting on 8+ acres for sale (I think??) by Eadon, Lockwood & Riddle. You can find it on bing.com
HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Hi David,
The following may give you some further leads on Elizabeth Hudson:
GRO birth reg: 1843 2nd qtr. Wortley Union
mmn: WHITELEY
Elizabeth's parents were MARY HUDSON(nee WHITELEY) and GEORGE HUDSON

MARY WHITELEY(later Hudson) was the love child of:
BETTY WHITELEY (of Spout House, born...) Bapt: Apr/19/1795 St.Nicholas, Bradfield (ref: Sheffield Indexers)
MARY WHITELEY (of HOB LANE, born...)Bapt: July 5th 1821 St.Nicholas, Bradfield. (ref:S.I.)

MARY WHITELEY married 1842, 2nd qtr. Wortley to GEORGE HUDSON (who in 1851 was a farm bailiff and in 1861 farm manager for Betty Whiteley (his wife's mother) who farmed 30 acres at Lamb Hill,Bradfield.

GEORGE HUDSON (of Hilltop)born:30th Sept/1806, Bapt: Dec.28th/1806 St, Nicholas, Bradfield (ref: S.I.)
GEORGE had a number of siblings one of whom was JAMES born 1808 who in 1851 we find is also residing with BETTY WHITELEY and his occupation is a schoolmaster.

MARY (nee Whiteley) AND GEORGE HUDSON were the parents of ELIZABETH HUDSON B:1843 (see above)
MARY HUDSON was also the beneficiary in BETTY WHITELEY'S Will (1872/73).

Just to touch on Joseph, Alice and Emma Rawson:
in 1871 they were living at BROWN HOUSE FARM & PRIVATE SCHOOL.

Hi David,
Not sure if ELIZABETH HUDSON ever taught at the Rawson Ladies School, especially around 1895.

ELIZABETH appears to be a domestic servant for BETTY WHITELEY at Watt House , Bradfield in 1871 age 28 and single.
On the 15th March, 1880 I believe she married HENRY SANDERSON. The marriage was not long lived as ELIZABETH SANDERSON (nee Hudson) died 18th May 1880 at Watt House. Her husband HENRY continued to live at the farm with MARY HUDSON (Elizabeth's mother) and eventually ran the farm after MARY's death in 1906.
HENRY died 4th Nov/1927 at Watt House.
Most of the above info can be found on Ancestry.com and some of their family trees. (which arre not always reliable..??) and Free BMD + GRO

Hi Wendy

Many thanks for all info. Trying to take it all in before getting back to you.

David

Hi Wendy

I don't think the Elizabeth b, 1843 is the correct Elizabeth? I will send an email.

David

Hi again David,
Thanks for your email.
Not having much luck with Elizabeth Hudson.
On BMD there are seven births under Wortley District.
1843 mmn: Whiteley: 1854 mmn:Heighton: 1856 mmn:Hinchcliffe: 1867 mmn: Harrison: 1871 mmn: none: 1874 mmn:Booth: 1876 mmn: none: 1880 mmn: Gregory.
with an Elizabeth Ann in 1877 mmn:Ackroyd:

On Fam. Search there is a baptism on 31st March 1867 for Ann Elizabeth Hudson, parents John and Ann which I have not investigated.

Wendy in Guelph
Hi again David,
Thanks for your email.
Not having much luck with Elizabeth Hudson.
On BMD there are seven births under Wortley District.
1843 mmn: Whiteley: 1854 mmn:Heighton: 1856 mmn:Hinchcliffe: 1867 mmn: Harrison: 1871 mmn: none: 1874 mmn:Booth: 1876 mmn: none: 1880 mmn: Gregory.
with an Elizabeth Ann in 1877 mmn:Ackroyd:

On Fam. Search there is a baptism on 31st March 1867 for Ann Elizabeth Hudson, parents John and Ann which I have not investigated.

Edit
John Hudson remarried..?? Ann Gillott
Wendy

Hi Wendy

I am beginning to wonder if "Elizabeth" shown on the Story is the wrong name and it was possibly another sister of Florence that went to the school with Florence and later became a teacher at the school.

Thanks for all your help.

Regards

David

Hi David,
The John who married Ann Gillott in 1875, I now think is most unlikely to be the John I was tracking because Phancey was still alive and with John in 1891(I believe Phancey died in 1895). Sorry for misleading you.
Elizabeth Hudson remains a mystery.