Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cremated remains

We have no knowledge of where the cremated remains of a family member were laid
He died in August 1961, the remains we presume were laid in either City Road or Hutcliffe Wood
Am I right in saying they were possibly laid in City Road ?
Is there a specific area in City Road as there is at Hutcliffe Wood for remains to be laid ?
Is the Bereavement Office at City Road my first point of investigation.
Do family members of a deceased have to specify where remains are laid if they are not taking them away for scattering wherever ?

Lot of questions there folks, look forward to your replies.

Re: Cremated remains

Hi Roger,

The Cremations we have transcribed were for City Road and covered the time period 1905-1951.

I believe that Hutcliffe Wood opened in 1974.

I would start by contacting Bereavement Services at City as your first port of call.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Hi Roger, My experience when I have had to deal with deaths in my family is that when you go to the Undertaker to make arrangements they ask you what you wish to do with cremation remains. In general unless the family wishes to scatter them on a particular grave or take them home it is usual for them to be scattered on the Cemeteries Garden of Remembrance which is what I did,
Hope that helps John

Hi Elaine and John, many thanks for your replies

Roger

Elaine in Ottawa
Hi Roger,

The Cremations we have transcribed were for City Road and covered the time period 1905-1951.

I believe that Hutcliffe Wood opened in 1974.

I would start by contacting Bereavement Services at City as your first port of call.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Elaine in Ottawa.
Hi Elaine

I don't know when Hutcliffe Wood officially opened. All I can add from my personal memory is that my grandfather died 02/12/1961, he was cremated at City Road Crematorium, and his remains were scattered in the Garden of Remembrance at Hutcliffe Wood. His name also appears in the Book of Remembrance there for the date of his death 02/12/1961. Importantly, I know myself and the family went to look at the Book of Remembrance at Hutcliffe Wood in the Garden of Remembrance, on the anniversary of his death; on or before 02/12/1966.

Kind regards

Leipzig

Hi Leipzig,

The information I have is from the S&DFHS Booklet and it is correct as per the Sheffield Council Site.

*Hutcliffe Wood Crematorium

This is a modern building opened in 1974 that can accommodate 150 people.

Adjoining the crematorium is the Garden of Remembrance, which extends over 9 acres. We offer a range of commemorative memorials which can be placed in the gardens.*

I wonder if the Book of Remembrance included City Road for some reason or that the cremation took place at City Road and the Garden of Remembrance at Hutcliffe Wood was already operational. I am sure Roger will find out from City Road.

Elaine.

I grew up very close to Hutcliffe Wood and know that the Garden of Remembrance was there many years before the Crematorium was built!

Denise

Thanks Denise for clarifying the situation.

Elaine.