Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Baptism query

Some of my maternal ancestors were all Baptised on the same day at a Parish Church away from their home address, can anyone explain this please?
Baptised February 26th. 1878 at St.George Church Brook Hill:
Annie Lorrie, Edgar, Herbert and Sam.
Parents Mary Ann and William Henry, all from Heeley Parish.
Godparents Page 523 (can anyone see these Godparents'names please?)

Regards,
Marlene C.

Re: Baptism query

ASPINALL, Edgar (of Heeley, born ~).
Baptised February 26, 1878, by E F Forrest at St George, Brook Hill.
Parents name(s) are Mary Ann & William Henry (Shoemaker).
Note: ~
Godparents: ~ :Page No 523 :Reg No ~

Godparents: ~ indicates there were no godparents rcorded

Page No 523 refers to the page number in the register which this record is on.
Dave

Hi Dave,
Many thanks for the information.
I've looked to see if their local church wasn't built then but, it was. My maternal grandmother, born 121 years ago today, is listed as being Baptised at Christ Church Heeley, home address Cambridge Road Heeley along with her siblings, I've just downloaded their details.

The previous generation aren't Baptised at Christ Church Heeley though they also lived at Cambridge Road Heeley.
Just wondered why the parents traipsed across to St. George, Brook Hill and, did they need permission from the vicar of Christ Church Heeley, curious that's all.

Regards,
Marlene C.

Marlene,
Our baptism records over to the left show that a total of 263 baptisms took place at St George Brookhill where the people lived in Heeley.
No permission would be needed
Dave

Hi Marlene,

To help you with different Sheffield Parishes use the following

http://www.sheffieldindexers.com/images/ParishesSheffieldMap.jpg

If you look at our SITE MAP over to the left it will help you find material that will help with anything you are not sure about.

A friend of ours a minister of St James Norton explained to me that vicars were given some discretion where baptisms were concerned . Marriages were much more restricted. Most Anglican baptisms did not show the godparents names. As Dave has indicated the Tilde (~) means no further information BUT an (i) would indicate there is more information and we have not transcribed it. Therefore it would be up to you to follow through with it.

Elaine in Ottawa.

They're not on FMP Marlene and we don't enter godparents names, i will take a look at the archives on Saturday.

Regards

Terry

Hi Elaine,
Many thanks for the further explanation.

It's when I was remembering my grandma whose birthday would have been today I thought I'd try to find her Baptism which I found along with her siblings on a download from Christ Church Heeley.

When I looked for the Aspinall family a generation earlier their Baptisms they were over in Brookhill though their home addresses were in Cambridge Road Heeley.
Just wondered why the family would choose a Church outside Heeley when they seem to be a family who hardly travelled anywhere.

When I married 52 years ago I lived in Heeley but, we got permission from the vicar of St.James, Norton to marry in Norton using a friend's address. My family name is Norton and we lived in Norton after we married, now in Derbyshire.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Regards,
Marlene C.

Hi Terry,
Thanks for the offer but, the Tilde ~ means that there are no Godparents names given, I don't want you to waste time but, thanks anyway.

Regards,
Marlene C.

Hi Marlene,

Argh I just lost my reply with a further query for you.

Was William Henry Aspinall a Cordwainer? I see from Dave's reply that he was.
Are you also aware of a Marriage at St Georges to an Emma Kershaw think it was 1855. Wm is listed as a Cordwainer. Mary Ann his wife is there on the 1901 census.

Thats would give you a link to St Georges.

I also went back to where we had married (57yrs ago now)
and we had our first child baptised there.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Hi Marlene C,
You may find the following link useful in helping towards understanding why there were different baptism places. Hope the link works...

https://www.sheffieldfhs.org.uk

(Sheffield & District Family History website)

look under Registration Districts

Happy Hunting:sleuth_or_spy:

Thanks everyone, your advice and comments are much appreciated.
Elaine, yes, that's my William Henry Aspinall's marriage to his first wife who died. He was a cordwainer then boot/shoe repairer when he'd served his apprenticeship. They never left Heeley and, in particular Cambridge Road where 4 generations lived in the same houses.
Regards,
Marlene C.

Just to give you a better idea of why they used St Georges Church.

Time line.
1855 Regent Terrace nr Portobello St (the address of St George's)
1861 Regent St.
1871 Franklin St, Ecclesall.
1881 Cambridge Rd, Heeley
1891 Cambridge Rd Heeley.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Hi Elaine,
Thank you for being so observant, I should have referred to my previous notes on where people were when censuses were taken.
My Ancestry has expired and I hadn't looked at my tree on there, if I had I could have linked up the date of 1878 (their Baptisms) to where they lived at the time.

First rule for any researcher is to check dates/censuses/addresses. I failed badly!

That resolves that one, thank you so much for everyone.

Refards,
Marlene C
P.S. Blame it on the heat here currently.

Hi Marlene,

If you want a FREE home for your tree I use "Legacy" after a few years I did upgrade it to the deluxe version which at the time was about $25.

Touching wood here, I have never had a problem with it over the 25 years I have used it.

https://legacyfamilytree.com/

Elaine in Ottawa
High of 30 deg but humid.

Hi Marlene

Regarding Emma KERSHAW (the first wife of William Henry ASPINALL). have you had any success in finding out where she is buried?

Kind regards

Leipzig

Not sure if this is her but an Emma Aspinal died in 1862 aged 28 and is buried at Crookes, St Thomas. She was living in Walkley when she died.

Hi John

Thank you, I will check it out.

Although FreeBMD.org.uk lists the death entry for an Emma ASPINALL in 1862 (Ecclesall Bierlow), no age is given. However on the GRO site it records the age at death as 28 years. From the 1861 Census it would appear that she was born 1832/1833 so it would match.

Thanks again

Kind regards

Leipzig

Hi Leipzig,
There is a baptism on this site, over to your left, with date of birth for an EMMA KERSHAW born and baptized in 1834 parents Sarah & Joseph.
HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Hi Leipzig,

I have the marriage certificate for Emma Kershaw and William Aspinall dated 1855 at St.George's.
Emma Kershaw was a 21 years old spinster, her father Joseph Kershaw was a table knife manufacturer and her address is given as Wellington Street.

William Aspinall was a 23 years old bachelor, a cordwainer, his father was John Aspinall a hairdresser, his address is given as Regent Terrace. Witnesses were Thomas and Clara Hall.

There's an Aspinall family grave at Norton Cemetery where William and his second wife Mary Ann Aspinall are interred, they both died in 1913, however, William's first wife Emma nee Kershaw isn't interred with them.

William's father John Aspinall (hairdresser) was transported to Australia in 1834 where his marriage to his wife Sarah Hatfield here in Sheffield was annulled.

I can scan you a copy of the marriage certificate of Emma Kershaw and William Aspinall should you require it for your research.

Regards,
Marlene C.

Wendy in Guelph
Hi Leipzig,
There is a baptism on this site, over to your left, with date of birth for an EMMA KERSHAW born and baptized in 1834 parents Sarah & Joseph.
HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:
Hi Wendy

Thank you for the heads up, I will have a look.

Kind regards

Leipzig

Marlene C.
Hi Leipzig,

I have the marriage certificate for Emma Kershaw and William Aspinall dated 1855 at St.George\'s.
Emma Kershaw was a 21 years old spinster, her father Joseph Kershaw was a table knife manufacturer and her address is given as Wellington Street.

William Aspinall was a 23 years old bachelor, a cordwainer, his father was John Aspinall a hairdresser, his address is given as Regent Terrace. Witnesses were Thomas and Clara Hall.

There\'s an Aspinall family grave at Norton Cemetery where William and his second wife Mary Ann Aspinall are interred, they both died in 1913, however, William\'s first wife Emma nee Kershaw isn\'t interred with them.

William\'s father John Aspinall (hairdresser) was transported to Australia in 1834 where his marriage to his wife Sarah Hatfield here in Sheffield was annulled.

I can scan you a copy of the marriage certificate of Emma Kershaw and William Aspinall should you require it for your research.

Regards,
Marlene C.
Hi Marlene

Thank you for your kind offer, I have sent you an email.

Kind regards

Leipzig

Hi Marlene
The Emma Aspinall that died in 1862 age 28 is buried at St Thomas Crookes sheffield. She was from Walkley

First name(s) Emma
Last name Aspinall
Age 28
Birth year 1834
Death year 1862
Burial year 1862
Burial date 15 Jun 1862
Burial place Sheffield, St Thomas, Crookes

Bev

Hi Beverley,

Thank you for this information.

I hope Leipzig sees it too, I'll mail him.

Regards,
Marlene C.