Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Beatrice Ann Wilkinson 1894-1964

Beatrice Wilkinson was my maternal great grandmother.
I am trying to find her parents to further my family tree

She was born 19 December 1894 in Leigh Manchester - Died 3 March 1964, Sheffield - details obtained from 1939 England & Wales Register was living at 177 Gleadless Road, Sheffield

She married John Thomas Hague on 6 August 1911, at St Pauls Church.
I have a copy of her marriage Certificate
Beatrice & Thomas were both residing at 32 Harvey Clough Road, Norton Lees, Sheffield

Her father, Frederick Wilkinson was noted as deceased, when she married.
Her first child, my grandmother Eliza Beatrice Hague was born in January 1912

Any help appreciated, as I live in Australia

Re: Beatrice Ann Wilkinson 1894-1964

The Sheffield Independent of 13th July 1916 reported that Private J.T. Hague of the York and Lancaster Regiment, residence 177 Gleadless Road, Heeley had been wounded.

His service number was 4688 and he joined up on 23rd August 1915. His service records are available via FindMyPAst, though mostly illegible, probably WW2 water damage. On joining he was aged 30 years and 11 months and 5 feet 3 1/2 inches tall. He received the British War and Victory medal. He was discharged on 22nd February 1917.

Was her mothers maiden name swift?

Regards

Terry

thank you, yes he had an injury to his hand, but we dont know how it happened. Thank you

I dont know her mothers name, hence my dilemma, without her details I am unable to source her birth certificate.

I did try on FreeBDM, but cant get any further without this information

Father Alfred b 1866 Leigh,mother Sarah b 1872 Leigh,siblings Alfred 1897,Henry 1899,Alice 1902,Agnes 1904 and Frank 1905 all born in Leigh from the 1911 census.

Regards

Terry

Hi Rebecca,

By using the GRO Index you can turn up the following.

WILKINSON, BEATRICE SWIFT
GRO Reference: 1894 D Quarter in LEIGH Volume 08C Page 298

MMN Swift.......

GRO you can search......https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/login.asp

Elaine in Ottawa.

Hi Rebecca, There is a possibility they got the fathers name wrong. Sarah Swift married Alfred Wilkinson April 1893 Leigh. The 1901 census shows Alfred born 1866 Leigh and Sarah born 1872 Leigh with Beatrice the only child.

I see Alfred and Henry in the 1901 Barry.

Terry

Alfred Wilkinson died in Leigh in 1916 age 50. So he was not deceased when Beatrice married in 1911.
Dave

Could be an alternative death? Name Alfred Wilkinson
Sex Male
Age 44
Address 10 Barbara St.
Death or Burial Date 9 Dec 1911
Death or Burial Place Bolton, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
Death or Burial Place (Original) Bolton, England
Death Place Infirmary
Birth Year (Estimated) 1867
Marital Status Unknown
Occupation Bobbin Carrier

Beatrice parents Alfred Wikinson and Sarah Swift married in Leigh 1893.

Regards

Terry

Barry, she married in August 1911 saying her father Frederick was already deceased. The death you found was in December 1911.
The Beatrice daughter of Alfred and Sarah (nee Swift) was 16 and with her family in Leigh on 2nd April 1911.
could she really be the Beatrice who only 4 months later married in Sheffield when 2 months pregnant?.
Rebecca, do you have the birth cert for Beatrice born in Leigh 1894, mmn Swift? If not you should buy it (available as PDF for £7). It will confirm or deny the date of birth you got from 1939 Register for Beatrice Hague nee Wilkinson.
Dave
PS Why do you say she had a middle name Ann?

Hi Dave
I dont have the mothers name. I do have her marriage certificate, it only has her father listed as Frederick Wilkinson, he was a grinder and he was listed deceased at the time. Perhaps Frederick was not his first name.

Hi Dave

Middle name Ann - now that has me thinking, my mum told me that was her middle name, that is the only source I have. My mum is Sylvia Ann - and she thought that was were the Ann in her name came from, after her grandmother.

I am now wondering if that was the case, I just rechecked - on both the death notice, marriage certificate & 1939 census Ann (as a middle name is not listed) she is just listed as Beatrice Wilkinson, but her husband is John Thomas Hague is always written in full

Marriage Certificate
John Thomas Hague signed his full name
Beatrice didnt sign with a middle name

Headstone name for Beatrice also does not have Ann
Headstone name for John Thomas does have his middle name

Beatrice & John are interred with Eliza Beatrice & her husband George
find a grave 232001765

Hi Barry

this could be possible, but surely she knew her own fathers name, he has (deceased) after his name and occupation grinder

I know she didnt put her correct age, as she was 16 at the time, and about 4 months pregnant but it states she was 18. Her Husband was 26, his fathers name is correct

Thank you Elaine

yes this is the right detail, thank you, so I now have a mothers name, which will certainly help a lot and I have just gone on and purchased :)

Thank you

Hi Terry

Alfred Wilkinson & Sarah Elizabeth Wilkinson

April 1911 Census they have their daughter Beatrice as living in Manchester, so it is certainly a possibility, she didnt marry until August 1911, the age is right

She may have listed her father as deceased, as may have been some family issues with her being pregnant & getting married, etc

Alfred, was killed in June 1916, France & Flanders, where my paternal great grandfather was also killed a few months later

Thank you

According to the 1921 Census, both Beatrice and John Thomas were born in SHEFFIELD.
Dave

Also according to the 1921 census Beatrice Wilkinson (b leigh 1894) is still alive and unmarried living in Leigh with her mother Sarah and her younger 4 siblings.
Dave

Rebecca
You should investigate the following family

Frederick Wilkinson married Elizabeth Hall Ecclesall Bierlow q2 1874

They had many children, all of whom can be identified by mmn on GRO Index
Frederick was a Spring Knife GRINDER born about 1852
Their daughter BEATRICE was born 1894 Q1 Ecclesall Bierlow (MMN HALL)

In the 1901 Census Frederick is a widower and Beatrice (10) and other children are with him at 194 Rushdale Road NORTON LEES.

Frederick Wilkinson died 1909 Ecclesall Bierlow age 57.

That all fits perfectly with your info on Beatrice 1911 marriage cert, including their address in Norton Lees.
Dave

Hi Rebecca, Alfred, Wilfred, Frederick they all boil down to Fred. She probably only known him as Fred and assumed it was Frederick?

This seems to contradict your date for her birth? Name Beatrice Ann Wilkinson Hague
Death or Burial Place Sheffield, Metropolitan Borough of Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England
Cemetery City Road Cemetery and Crematorium
Death Date 03 Mar 1964
Birth Date 19 Dec 1884
Event Type Burial also: Beatrice A Wilkinson
Principal
England and Wales Census, 1891

Census 1891
Ecclesall Bierlow, Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom
Birth 1884
Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom

ParentsJames Wilkinson, Annie J Wilkinson
SiblingsArthur Wilkinson, Edith Wilkinson, Reuben Wilkinson

Thank you to all for your help

Beatrice Wilkinson - did not have a middle name Ann. I have checked her birth certificate, and am awaiting a hard copy that I have purchased

So that was great help.

Once I added in her parents Alfred Robert Wilkinson and Sarah Swift, my Ancestry family tree got a lot of many hints.

Alfred's mother was Sophia Wilkinson - unknown father, Sophia later married James Grimshaw and they had several children together, and one of these descendants has messaged me through ancestry

I have also had a message from another Ancestry member, a descendent of Beatrice sister

Beatrice was living in Leigh in the 1911 Census, but at the time of her marriage 4 months later was living in Sheffield, which has her address on her marriage certificate

Your hard work and dedication is admired and I thank you for your assistance, without it I would still be at a dead end.

Kind Regards

Rebecca

Barry E White
Hi Rebecca, Alfred, Wilfred, Frederick they all boil down to Fred. She probably only known him as Fred and assumed it was Frederick?
I have a Frederick Stock who crossed the Tasman 1853-1854, sometimes on passenger lists as Fred, sometimes Alfred.
His son, also a Frederick Stock, was cross examined in court as a witness in the early 1900s and a lawyer called him Alfred Stock.
Terry Stock

Rebecca et al
The Beatrice Wilkinson born Leigh did not marry in 1911. She was still single in 1921 and living in the same street with the same mother and the same siblings as in 1911.Only father Alfred has disappeared.

1911 Census at 10 Rothay Street Leigh
Wilkinson Agnes 1904
Wilkinson Alfred 1866
Wilkinson Alfred 1897
Wilkinson Alice 1902
Wilkinson BEATRICE 1895
Wilkinson Frank 1905
Wilkinson Henry 1899
Wilkinson Sarah 1872

1921 Census at Rothay Street Leigh
Agnes Wilkinson 1904
Alfred Wilkinson 1897
Alice Wilkinson 1901
BEATRICE Wilkinson 1894
Frank Wilkinson 1905
Harry Wilkinson 1899
Sarah Wilkinson 1872

Also from the 1921 Census, living at Gleadless, Ecclesall Bierlow:
Beatrice Hague b1894 BORN IN SHEFFIELD
John Thomas Hague b1885
Liza b1911
Edward b 1913
Frederick b 1915
ALL BORN IN SHEFFIELD

Dave

Re: Beatrice Wilkinson 1894-1964

Dave T

Thanks for your reply

My mother is still alive, and knew her grandparents.

I have my great grandmothers marriage certificate.

I know her date of birth, but until I posted here I didnt know who her parents were.

I now have her birth certificate, since I was able to find her parents, thanks to this forum

She married John Thomas Hague, in Sheffield where he was born.

I have photos of John & Beatrice at their sons wedding, which also includes my grandmother. My mother named each person in the family wedding photo of one of my grandmothers brothers.

I have a 4 generation photo taken with Beatrice, when I was an infant, with my mother & my grandmother.

Re: Beatrice Wilkinson 1894-1964

Rebecca, I shall let the evidence below speak for itself in the true identification of your g grandmother Beatrice Wilkinson who married John Thomas Hague in 1911 Ecclesall Bierlow

1. The Marriage (August 1911) cert gives her age as 18., her father named as Frederick Wilkinson a Grinder (deceased). The couple were living in Norton at the time of the marriage.
2. The 1921 Census has the couple living at Gleadless with 2 children. Beatrice is said to be born in Sheffield.
3. 1939 Register. Beatrice Hague gives her birth date as 19th December 1894.
4. Beatrice Hague nee Wilkinson is buried with her husband in City Road cemetery. She died in early March 1964, age given as 70.

Beatrice Wilkinson birth registered Q4 1894 in Leigh, Lancs mmn SWIFT. (I believe her birth cert will give her DoB as 10 Oct 1894)
1. She is in the 1911 census (4th April) at ROTHAY Street, Leigh, age 16 with her father Alfred (very much alive) and mother Sarah (nee Swift) and several siblings.
2. She is in the 1921 census age 26 and SINGLE with all the same siblings and her mother at ROTHAY Street, Leigh.
3. She marries in Leigh in Q3 1922 to Police Sergeant Joseph Harold Lythgoe.
4. In the 1939 Register Beatrice Lythgoe gives her date of birth as 10th October 1894.
5. Beatrice Lythgoe died in 1989 in Lancaster (age 95). Her date of birth was given as 10th October 1894

Beatrice Wilkinson birth registered Q1 1894 Ecclesall Bierlow, MMN HALL. This could mean born anytime after late November 1893 (ie she could have been born 19th December 1893. The birth cert could prove that). At the time of the Hague Wilkinson marriage she would be about 17 and a half
1. She is on the 1901 Census in NORTON with her widowed father FREDERICK, a GRINDER as well as many older siblings. The family is on earlier censuses. Frederick’s wife was Elizabeth Hall. They married in Q2 1874 in Ecclesall Bierlow.
2. 1909. Frederick dies age 57, Ecclesall Bierlow, so at the time of the 1911 marriage he was Deceased
3. 1911 Census (4th April), her older brothers are now married and living in NORTON.
4. 1911 August, John Thomas Hague marries Beatrice Wilkinson. At the time of the marriage they were living together in NORTON (from marriage cert).
Dave