Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help to find Thomas Guest

Hi,

I recently tried finding the parent/s of Eliza/Elizabeth Guest. She married in 1860 in Sheffield a William Bradshaw. I sent for the marriage certificate as advised and I received it today.

It seems Elizabeth's father (presuming still alive in July 1861 time of marriage) as it doesn't say deceased, was called Thomas Guest and he was a labourer.
I have tracked through quite a few of the 1861 census for Thomas Guest and haven't found a match for the profession.

Elizabeth obviously moved to Sheffield at some point but on the census 1861 onwards, she states birthplace as London.

Any hints on where to go next?

Regards
Sarah

Re: Help to find Thomas Guest

Hi Sarah

Does Thomas have any other children? Sometimes I have tracked people down from baptism, marriage and census records of their other children rather than just from my direct ancestor.

Julia :relaxed:

Sarah Ann, you should investigate th following family which fits well for your Elizabeth b 1834.
Thomas Guest born 1802,He died 1863 in Shoreditch.
He married Elizabeth Huett (b 1807) in Shoreditch in 1829.
They had ELIZABETH in 1834 then Thomas 1837, Ann 1839, William 1843, Henry 1845 and Samuel 1847 all in Shoreditch.
The family is in Shoreditch in 1841, 1851 and 1861 censuses,
Dave

Hi Dave, Sarah Ann et al,
Amazingly, I still have some of the info on Elizabeth Guest when it surfaced some time ago.
Dave: The Thomas you mention, is recorded as a licensed victualer on the 1851 census and a publican on the 1861 census.
So if Sarah Ann has the correct marriage certificate showing the father as a labourer, then it is probably not a good fit.

Originally, I was tracking a Hannah Guest, B:1803 St.Margaret's Middlesex.
In 1841: Hannah age 40, John age 15, Eliza age 7 are residing with a myriad of other people at St.Herman Hill, St.Margaret's, Westminster, Middsx. (possibly a workhouse..??)
In 1851: Hannah age 48, is an inmate,(no John or Eliza with her) residing at St.James Workhouse, St.Margaret's, Westminster..

The Eliza recorded with Hannah may not be the Elizabeth we are looking for, because of the first name difference. Plus the marriage certificate Sarah Ann purchased showing Elizabeth's father Thomas possibly still living is another spanner in my theory.
HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

We cannot rule out the possibility that Elizabeth was illegitimate and that her father Thomas, Labourer, is invented.
Dave

Hi Sarah Ann,

Please bear with me and I hope I am not leading you astray.

I went back to the 1861 census information.........

They are living with Williams parents and Wm jnr is a Joiners tool maker as is his father also Wm.

Wm jnr is married (i.e. Sep qtr 1860 EB 9c 226.

Elizbt (Elizabeth) dau in law aged 22 born London
Matilda g/dau aged 1yr. (Registered March qtr 1860 as a Bradshaw mmn Guest) Sf. 9c 279

Matilda was born prior to the marriage.

Where did the marriage take place/ Church?

Looking back at the 1861 census.

The next door neighbours George & Caroline Tingle......Caroline was born in LONDON. Looks to have been a recent marriage as the eldest child is six. Caroline is 45.

As family members quite often lived side by side I wonder if Caroline and Elizabeth were connected. Maybe Elizabeth came up to Sheffield to help out and met William. Its a long shot and researching in LONDON is a nightmare.

Please dont feel you have to take this information as correct. It just niggles at me when we can't come up with answers. LOL.

Elaine.

Sarah Ann
Can you please tell us who the witnesses were at the 1860 marriage of Elizabeth?
Dave

Sarah Ann and Dave,

Does any of this look familiar to you........I have tried to check back....

1841 census. Kingsland Rd, Shorditch. London.

Thomas Guest 40 Lic/Vic
Elizabeth aged 30
Elizabeth aged 6
Thomas 4
Ann 2
Samuel 3mth
Caroline Guest aged 15.

Could this be a 2nd marriage for Thomas and Caroline being a daughter from the first marriage.

His occupation is different but between 1841 & 1861 anything could have happened.
Ages are a little out but??????

Elaine in Ottawa.

Thanks for all the responses. Very much appreciated.

The daughter of William and Matilda I gather was born before their marriage (date of marriage is 29 July 1860) and I did question this on here earlier as to whether the mother could register a child with father's name if not married and I was told it wasn't impossible if the father agreed.

Certificate gives the age of William as 20 and Elizabeth as 21. Gives the profession of both William and his father as joiner tool makers. Both signed with mark and not signature. Witness names were Joseph Raynor and Sarah Raynor (mark) The address they both give is Devonshire Street.

I will take a look at baptism records but I think 1834 dob is too early as I think it would be more likely from following census that she was born approx 1839.

Thanks
Sarah

Hi,

Just need for you tell us which church they were married in. The certificate matches the 1861 census info.

Ages can vary on the census.

The 1841 census material I posted is it plausible?

Did you look at the Tingle family?

Elaine.

Elaine in Ottawa
Hi,

Just need for you tell us which church they were married in. The certificate matches the 1861 census info.

Ages can vary on the census.

The 1841 census material I posted is it plausible?

Did you look at the Tingle family?

Elaine.
Hi, The church was St Jude Eldon Sheffield.
I checked out the Tingle but cannot see connection

I went through the 1841 census siblings and on one of the other sibling marriages they state father profession as carpenter?
So Labourer, Lic publican and carpenter? Is this still possible?
I found a baptism for a Elizabeth Guest with a father named Thomas and mother named Elizaebth in 1834 - so I have entered this as her on my ancestry and uploaded other siblings. I will do a dna cross check in 24 hours to ee if it brings up any matches.

Regards
Sarah

Sarah Ann
Wendy has already shown that you can probably dismiss that Elizabeth Guest born 1834 for 2 reasons. First she is the wrong birth date by about 5 years and second her father Thomas, who died in Shoreditch in 1863, was consistently a publican in 1841, 1851 and 1861.
There is now a third much stronger reason to conclude that she is not yours. She married in Shoreditch in 1853 to Walter Osborn (free BMD). There are several trees on Ancestry which have more details of this couple. Perhaps you can look them up there.
Apparently they had no children and Walter died young in 1867.
Back to the drawing board.
Dave

Hi,
Has anyone picked up on the 1881 census record when Elizabeth Bradshaw is calling herself Mary..?? On the other census records she is Elizabeth Bradshaw.

Thanks guys so maybe I have to go with the theory that Hannah may have been her mother? I will check out Hannah.

I agree with Dave - thanks.

Mary name I also spotted but took this an an admin/transcibe error.

What also confused matters was that once Elizabeth Guest died, William remarried the next year and his new wife was also called Elizabeth.....

Wendy in Guelph
Hi Dave, Sarah Ann et al,
Amazingly, I still have some of the info on Elizabeth Guest when it surfaced some time ago.
Dave: The Thomas you mention, is recorded as a licensed victualer on the 1851 census and a publican on the 1861 census.
So if Sarah Ann has the correct marriage certificate showing the father as a labourer, then it is probably not a good fit.

Originally, I was tracking a Hannah Guest, B:1803 St.Margaret's Middlesex.
In 1841: Hannah age 40, John age 15, Eliza age 7 are residing with a myriad of other people at St.Herman Hill, St.Margaret's, Westminster, Middsx. (possibly a workhouse..??)
In 1851: Hannah age 48, is an inmate,(no John or Eliza with her) residing at St.James Workhouse, St.Margaret's, Westminster..

The Eliza recorded with Hannah may not be the Elizabeth we are looking for, because of the first name difference. Plus the marriage certificate Sarah Ann purchased showing Elizabeth's father Thomas possibly still living is another spanner in my theory.

Wendy, I can't find Hannah Guest in the 1851 census you refer to?

Sarah

Hi Sarah Ann,
Sorry I may have misled you with the 1851 census, the Hannah I found at the location stated before(St.James Workhouse) was Hannah GUESS age 48 (1803) Inmate/Gen.Servant. which I assumed was probably the same Hannah...?? Which she may yet be if there was a clerical error...??

Hi Sarah Ann,
The second marriage for William
William Bradshaw age 52 (widow)
M: 6th Oct, 1890 Christ Church Heeley
ELIZA Fowler (widow) nee MILNER

HAPPY HUNTING :sleuth_or_spy: