Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Grandparent WILLIAM HOLLIS

Looking for location deceased of a William Hollis. I have details of his wife SARAH HOLLIS (NEE HOPEWELL)she died in BRADFORD WEST YORKSHIRE
married around 1901 Attercliffe Sheffield. Last find was 1921 census he seems to be living as a boarder in Sheffield with a son THOMAS HOLLIS. I know my Nanna Holis was living in SHIPLEY WEST YORKSHIRE in the same census with a child ADA born in FEB 1920 anyone help how find where he might be . I assume the son might be deceased but I know nothing about him at all in fact he came up as a great surprise. Many thanks. Margaret

Re: Grandparent WILLIAM HOLLIS

This may help. Name William Hollis
Death or Burial Place Sheffield, Metropolitan Borough of Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England
Cemetery Tinsley Park Cemetery
Death Date 17 Dec 1946
Birth Date 1881
Event Type Burial
Affiliate Image Identifier 223183065

Hi

I’ve found some information on the son. Thomas Arthur Hollis, son of William, was born on 17 September 1910 and was baptised on 5 October 1910 at Holy Trinity Church in Darnall. Thomas married Annie D Oldham in 1937 in Sheffield and died in Sheffield in 1993. I’ve found the birth of one child; Loraine Jean Hollis born in 1947. I’ve not been able to find Thomas in the 1939 Register. Loraine appears to have never married and died in Sheffield in 1991.

Carol

Margaret.
The GRO Index shows that Sarah Hollis nee Hopewell had 9 registered births in Sheffield between 1902 and 1918. She then had a further 2 in the Bradford area (1920 and 1922). At least 4 of those born in Sheffield died in infancy
The baptisms for 7 of those born in Sheffield (including Thomas Arthur) are in our parish records over to the left. Search for surname Hollis, father William and mother Sarah*. The asterisk is important
Dave