Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WHALEY FAMILY IN SHEFFIELD

Hi all,

I'm stuck on finding out our 4th GGs parents names despite searching on here and elsewhere so am hoping someone can help.

Our 4th GG is JOHN WHALEY born circa 1755 in Sheffield I believe. He married MARY HOLMES (1755 - 1816) and one of their children, Henry, is our 3rd great grandfather.

Hope someone can help with any Whaley ancestry!

Wendy

Re: WHALEY FAMILY IN SHEFFIELD

Hi Wendy,

Not saying I am correct. BUT I am sure others will check out your request as well.

I used FMP & Family Search.

Baptism 8th Feb 1761 John Whaley at Sheffield Parish Church. Son of James Whaley a Tin man.

Marriages.
John Whaley of this Parish a Widower & Mary Holmes (Widow) by Licence 5th Jan 1785. States that they were both 30 but????

Possible earlier marriage for John.

Jonathan Whaley bachelor & Elizabeth Nicholson spinster 14th June 1775.

There is a possible burial at St Paul's Pinstone St 16th Feb 1795.

Elaine in Ottawa.

PS. Just to add..... have a look at our Apprentice & Freemen List over to the left

I believe your John is there and also his father James. BUT I have not quite got my head around the relationship yet.

Instant Messenger: Skype/Messenger

Wendy,
Whal(l)ey was a very rare name in Sheffield prior to 1760.
There is a John (or Jonathon) Whalley in the Apprentice and Freemens list who was born around 1754. He became a cutler, as did his older brother Samuel (born around 1848).
Their father was Francis of Halifax.
The two brothers were baptised in Lightcliffe (just outside Halifax) in 1754 and 1748 respectively, Father name Francis.
Francis Whal(l)ey married Elizabeth Lee in Halifax 1739. They baptised 5 children. There is much confusion over single or double l in the surnames.
Dave

Thanks so much for doing this.
Wendy