Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
St Phillip's church burials

Hi,
The below details I found on Ancestry, however I cannot locate this on Sheffield indexers burials. Does anyone know why? I wanted to see if she shared the plot with anyone else

Thanks

Name Caroline Hadfield
Gender Female
Death Age53
Birth Date1824
Death Date1877
Burial Date16 Apr 1877
Burial PlaceSt. Phillip'S Parish, Sheffield, York,
EnglandFHL Film Number993298Reference IDp245 no.1958

Re: St Phillip's church burials

Sarah, on Sheffield Indexers we do not have St Philip burials.
They are available from the S&DFHS. The only extra bits of info there are that she died at Channing Street and in the same churchyard are 27 other Hadfields. There are no grave numbers.
Dave

Hi

The burial is in Wardsend cemetery:
HADFIELD Caroline buried 16 April 1877 of Channing Street Section R grave No 45

St Philips graveyard closed in 1857 (except for interments in family vaults until 1918)
Burials after 1857 took place in Wardsend Cemetery.

Angela

In the same grave are John Mallinson died 1862 (son of George) and Herbert Arthur Short born 1862, buried 1902
Dave

Correction Herbert Arthur Short born 1867
Dave

This looks like a public grave. There is no gravestone.

Hugh
(Friends of Wardsend Cemetery)

Hugh
This looks like a public grave. There is no gravestone.

Hugh
(Friends of Wardsend Cemetery)
Hi Hugh,
So as Angela mentioned above....The burial is in Wardsend cemetery:
HADFIELD Caroline buried 16 April 1877 of Channing Street Section R grave No 45

St Philips graveyard closed in 1857 (except for interments in family vaults until 1918)
Burials after 1857 took place in Wardsend Cemetery.

Does this mean for her to be buried there after 1857 there would have had to be a family vault? As it looks like she was not buried with anyone in the family re Dave's post.

Tia

The restriction of burials to family vaults applied only to the churchyard (ie the burial ground around the church at Shalesmoor) after it closed on 21 Jun 1857. There were 74 burials there between the closure and 1918.

There was no such restriction at Wardsend. It can be confusing that they are all St Philip's burials, though the great majority of them after 1857 were at Wardsend which is some distance from the church (in fact it isn't even in the parish).

Hugh

I remember St Philips church on Shalesmoor Sheffield. It was damaged in the Second World War and was demolished in the late 1940s - what a pity, it was a beautiful building.

The site is now part if a road system, and I believe that the bodies were reintered elsewhere.

Many of my family members used this church, the parish of which was combined with St Anns on Hoyle Street. This building also is also no longer there.

Hope this bit of information is useful.

Janet Underhay

The bodies were reburied in Abbey Lane Cemetery, section H (consecrated)

Angela