Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Charles TURNER sheriff's officer

Hi All

I am looking for information on the life of Charles TURNER, baptised in Normanton Yorkshire on 28 July 1817, but I am struggling, any help would be appreciated.

According to the newspaper article below. Charles was the 6th son Of William Burton TURNER (1780-1838) sheriff’s deputy.

MEMBER OF OLD SHEFFIELD FAMILY

The funeral took place at Walkley Cemetery, Sheffield, yesterday, of Mr.Harry Turner, of 25, Camm Street, who died on Sunday, at the age of 76 years, Mr Turner was a member of a very old Sheffield family, and his grandfather, Mr William Burton Turner, was sheriff’s deputy of Sheffield, and was proclaimer at the ceremony the ceremony in the city on the Proclamation day for Queen Victoria in 1837.
Mr. Harry Turner was the last of six sons of Mr. Charles Turner, who was sheriff’s officer in Sheffield for many years. By trade he was a silver chaser, and worked a few at Messrs. Huttons until his retirement a few years ago. He was the oldest member of Walkley Reform Club.
source: Sheffield Daily Telegraph, Friday 11 December 1925 (Page 9).

William Burton TURNER was the son of Samuel TURNER (1730-1791) of Sheffield a mercer. William Burton TURNER married Charlotte HERON at St. Giles Church in Pontefract on 9 October 1806.

I am having trouble finding any information regarding his son Charles TURNER.

Charles TURNER (Full Age) marries Isabella MARSDEN at the parish church of Rotherham 11 February 1839. His father’s name is given as William Burton TURNER, Clerk.

I have a candidate which seems to fit for the 1851 Census.
HO107/2339/740 Page 7 (11 Ct Broad Lane, Sheffield),
Charles TURNER, age: 33, occupation: Table Knife Cutler (born Halifax)
Isabella TURNER, age: 34, occupation: Dress Maker (born Sheffield)
Thomas TURNER, age 8 (born Manchester)
Harry TURNER, age 1 (born Sheffield)

I am not happy with this match, but I cannot find any other candidate for a Charles TURNER In the Sheffield area, who supposedly had been sheriff’s officer in Sheffield for many years. Also if my research is correct wouldn’t someone in their early 20s be a bit young to be sheriff’s officer. (Charles was baptised 1817 but no date of birth is given).

I am finding it a frustrating puzzle, any help would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Leipzig

Re: Charles TURNER sheriff's officer

My apologies

I should have also included the following information in my original post (which determines when Charles TURNER becomes Sheriff's Officer):

Mark Milbank, Esq., the High Sheriff for this County, has been pleased to appoint Charles Turner, son of Mr. W. Burton Turner, of Sheffield, Sheriff’s Officer, to be Sheriff’s Officer for this town.
source: Sheffield Iris 10 October 1837

Kind regards

Leipzig

Does this help?
Turner, William Burton (, Sheriff's officer & auctioneer).
Address: 39 Campo Lane, in 1833.
Recorded in: Whites History & Directory of Sheffield - 1833.

Turner, William Burton (, Sheriff's officer & auctioneer).
Address: 39 Campo Lane, in 1837.
Recorded in: Whites Directory of Sheffield & Rotherham - 1837.
Dave

Hi Dave T

Thanks for your input.

This is Charles's father William Burton TURNER. William died 23 December 1838 at Campo Lane, no house number is given on his death Certificate so I presume his office was also his home. The informant is William Thomas TURNER of Campo Lane, another one of his sons.

I personally have struggled to find Charles TURNER sheriff's officer/deputy in any of the freely available directories of the time.

Thanks for your help Dave

Kind regards

Leipzig