Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Baptism Records

HI. What does Fil & Filia mean in baptism records Please
Stay Safe Dave W

Re: Baptism Records

Hi Dave W

As far as I am aware it is Latin for son and daughter.

Taken from the GENUKI site (Latin in Parish Records):

(1) Baptismal Entries
The normal format in Latin seemed to be:

Thomas filius Henrici BLOGGS et Anna uxor ejus baptizatus fuit (date in Latin) Anno Pro. 1712.

For a female:

Sarah filia Henrici BLOGGS et Anna uxor ejus baptizata fuit (date in Latin) Anno Pdo. 1714.

filius and filia are 'son' and 'daughter' respectively, but occasionally are written with the ff at the beginning. [If the writer likes a long s at the end, a son can look like fflll but a daughter will be ffllx where x is any letter you can think of except s !]

et = and; uxor ejus = (wife his) = his wife

baptizatus and baptizata = baptised, which being declined (i.e. us or a at the end) does help when the name is almost unreadable and the sex of the child is in doubt.

fuit suggests a past tense = has been erat = was est = is

(Dates in Latin--see next section.)

Sometimes Anno Domini was used. Abbreviations: Ano Dom. Anno Dni. A. D. but more often Anno P (and a variety of letters that followed.) This term appears to mean 'in the current year.' Anno pdo. Anno pto. Anno predit? Anno pdto. Ano was often written with a stroke over the n to suggest the letter should be doubled. This also occurs in names such as Hanah with a stroke over the n for Hannah.

If the writer became tired with the full format, then he abbreviated it:

Thos. fil. Henrici BLOGGS et Anna ux. ej. bapt. (date) 1714. [Readable if one knows the original format. See above.]

If the writer were in a flamboyant mood, or the parents of the child were BIG in the village, then he wrote everything he could:

Thomas filius Henrici Negus et Christiana uxor ejus natus fuit (date) Ano. D. 1712. Nominatus (date) A. D. 1712. Thomas est in Ecclesiam receptus (date.) Anno Dni 1712.

The first phrase states that the child natus fuit = (born has been) = has been born He was nominatus = named or christened est in Ecclesiam receptus = is received into the church or erat in Ecclesiam receptus = was received into the church. It can also be abbrieviated: in Eccl. recept.

Occasionally the words puer and puella (boy and girl) were used in baptismal entries in place of filius and filia. I found no reason for the choice, although I read that they indicated a stillborn, unnamed, or even baseborn child. In these particular records, that did not seem to be the case. In one instance Sarah, puella, (was buried) and she was an infant, but she obviously had a name. An illegitimate girl was denoted as naturalia filia.

Kind regards

Leipzig

Re: Baptism Records

HI. Thanks for your answer.
In the Sheffield Parish Records 1560-1635. Fil follows both male and female records. That is why I checked what they ment. As you replied I always thought the same.
Stay Safe Dave.