Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Scott Family of Attercliffe.

Hello.

Thank you for the great work you are doing. I am doing an extensive genealogy of my mother’s family and I have used your site as a source for much information. My mother was born in Rotherham, but other extended family members were born, married or resided in Sheffield and Attercliffe before some emigrated to Canada in 1920.

I wonder if there might be 2 transcription errors in the following record. I have looked at many original documents and I realize how hard it can be to read the original handwriting.

SCOTT, Ivy (of 4 Claro Street, born 0000-04-21).
Baptised May 22, 1912, by J R Lee Nicholls at Christ Church, Attercliffe.
Parents name(s) are Amy & John Ernest (Labourer).
Note: ~
Godparents: ~ :Page No 18 :Reg No 144
Similar Date Baptised Same Household if Available Surname Match if Available

1. Would John Ernest be John Henry? Amy (Pierrepont) and John Henry Scott had a daughter Ivy whose birth was registered in Sheffield, Apr - Jun, 1912. She died later in 2012. I cannot find a marriage of a John Ernest to an Amy between 1890 and 1912 in England, or a marriage of a John to an Amy in the Sheffield region in that time.

I realize that John Henry is identified as a miner in the census records (1891, 1901 and 1911), but on the baptism records of his children, he is often identified as a labourer: (Joseph, 1891; John Henry, 1900; May, 1908, miner's labourer )

2. Would the address be 4 Glave St., where the family was living at the time of the 1911 census? Please see the attached copy. I searched for Claro Street in Attercliffe and I didn't find it.

I found the following on the Find A Grave Web site:

Ivy Scott
BIRTH unknown
DEATH 14 Nov 1912
BURIAL
Tinsley Park Cemetery
Sheffield, Metropolitan Borough of Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England
PLOT LB7nc
MEMORIAL ID 223197707 · View Source
SUGGEST EDITS

Gravesite Details

Age: 6m, Occupation: dau of John Henry, Abode: 4 Glave St, District: Attercliffe, Death date listed may be the interment date

Thank you for your consideration.

Roy Eldridge

Re: Scott Family of Attercliffe.

Hello Roy

Unfortunateley we don't have the original image of the baptism so we can't help there.

Claro rd is in 1911 but not 1901

John Henry Scott married Amy Pierrepoint in 1889 on our site.

Regards

Terry

Hi Roy,

Thanks for bringing the possible errors in our transcription to my attention. Glad we can help with your research.

I will list what I see from the original entry of Ivy's baptism.

The Vicar made a number of errors which we as transcriber can not change but I will make a note under Notes of what I have learned.

1.The date of birth is 6th April 1912. Vicar wrote 1921. We showed it as 0000 yrs but I will put the correct date in the notes.

2. The street address is definitely Claro Street which should read Road.
It ran from Ouse Road to Staniforth Rd Darnall.

3. Fathers middle name is Ernest on the baptism record not Henry.

Observation..... between the 1911 census and Ivy's baptism 22 May 1912 they had moved to Claro Road.

4. The 1911 census occupation Coal Miner (Filler) so was probably a Labourers job.

Hope that sorts some of your questions out.

I will change what I can on our baptism records for Ivy.

Regards.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype/Messenger

The Find a Grave listing for Ivy Scott provides detail that suggests that the burial records of the cemetery were examined (e.g. grave site, father, residence). For Ivy's burial on November 14, 1912 her father was John Henry and her residence was 4 Glave Street. That would mean that the family moved from 4 Glave at the time of the 1911 census to 4 Claro at the time of Ivy's birth in April 1912 and back to 4 Glave by November.
There is no record in the GRO index of another Ivy Scott, mother Amy, born 2012 in the Sheffield area. I believe that John Ernest Scott recorded on the baptism record for Ivy Scott is John Henry Scott.
Was this another error made by the priest?

Sorry Roy I thought I had added that and yes that was another error made by the priest.

Elaine in Ottawa.

PS I had added it to the revised entry by adding it to the notes.
We can't change the Baptismal Records entry.

SCOTT, Ivy (of 4 Claro Street, born 0000-04-21).
Baptised May 22, 1912, by J R Lee Nicholls at Christ Church, Attercliffe.
Parents name(s) are Amy & John Ernest (Labourer).
Note: DOB. 22 May 1912. Claro St = Claro Rd, Darnall. Fathers middle name Henry not Ernest.
Godparents: ~ :Page No 18 :Reg No 144

Instant Messenger: Skype/Messenger