Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help required on Briggs Line again!

Hi

I'm looking for Benjamin Briggs' parents. He was born 1785 - 1853 in Sheffield. Son was William, 1817 - 1875. Spouse was Elizabeth Chapman 1786 - 1850 Sheffield. I'm trying to complete this Briggs line for my cousin as a wedding present.

Any help would be truly helpful. Or if anyone can give me advice on how to search myself.

Thanks

Wendy

Re: Help required on Briggs Line again!

Hi Wendy,

I don't want to give you answers but let you do it yourself as you have requested.

Over the years of this site I always start by checking dates that are given to us so we can help.

In the past I have spent time checking material to find that its not correct.

BUT that's where you need to start.

As you are not sure when and where Benjamin was born. I started with a death registration.

Looking at FreeBMD.
There is not one in the Sheffield area for 1853. (1848-1855)
BUT..... there is one for 1849.

I then went to the 1841 census index on the site and turned up one family
but the wife's name is Catherine.

Next stop was to FMP.......Beet Street, Sheffield, Y
Household members (3 people)
First name(s) Last name Sex Age Birth year Birth place
Benjamin Briggs Male 60 1781 Yorkshire, England
Catharine Briggs Female 60 1781 Yorkshire, England
Charles Briggs Male 15 1826 Yorkshire, England

Benjamin was a table knife maker.

I next had a quick look at Family Search. There is material there you need to look at.

The 1853 Burial I believe is a child. (Family Search)

If Benjamin is from Sheffield he would at that time been baptised at Sheffield Parish Church very few churches in Sheffield at that time.

Thats a start as you want to search for yourself.

Elaine in Ottawa.

I have just found this on Find a Grave.

Name Benjamin Briggs
Death or Burial Place Sheffield, Metropolitan Borough of Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England
Cemetery Sheffield General Cemetery
Death Date 22 May 1852

Not showing on FreeBMD.

Instant Messenger: Skype/Messenger

Gro index confirms that the Benjamin Briggs who died Q1 1853 in Sheffield was age 0.
Dave

No edit function
The one who died in Ecclesall Bierlow in 1852 was also age O
Dave

From the NBI.....

BRIGGS, Benjamin (Infant, died on 22/05/1852, at the age of 5 m.).
Resided at 150, Eldon Street and buried on in ? ground;
Grave Number 1852, Section NN75 of General Cemetery, Sharrow.
Notes: Small Pox. Place of Birth: . Parent(s): William & Elizabeth Briggs.

BRIGGS, Benjamin (, died on ?, at the age of 69).
Resided at But St and buried on 16 May 1849 in ? ground;
Grave Number ?, Section ? of St George Cemetery, Portobello.

To help you rule out the different Benjamins.

Elaine.

Instant Messenger: Skype/Messenger

From Family Search: Benjamin Briggs married Elizabeth Chapman at St. Peter and St. Paul, Sheffield on Dec. 22, 1806. Children christened at St. Peter and St. Paul for Benjamin Briggs and Wife Elizabeth were John in 1807, Samuel in 1810, Hannah in 1812, William in 1816 and Thomas 1819. On the 1841 Census living at Upper Collier's Row- Elizabeth Briggs age 55 (born 1786). Samuel Briggs age 30, Ann Briggs age 20, Jane Briggs age 5, Benjamin Briggs age 3, also Thomas Briggs age 20 and George Briggs age 25. On the 1841 Census living at Collier's Row- William Briggs age 20, Elizabeth Briggs age 20, George Briggs age 3 and John Briggs age 1. Assuming this is the correct family, then it would seem that Benjamin Briggs Sr. was deceased by 1841 and his wife Elizabeth is living with son Samuel and his family.
Helen C.

From this website: George Briggs, Thomas Briggs, William Briggs and Samuel Briggs all married at the Sheffield Parish Church and name their father as Benjamin Briggs collier/miner. Still haven't found a christening for George but assume he is part of this family.
Helen C.

Benjamin Briggs, Collier aged 65, of Colliers Row, buried 14 Jan 1836, Sheffield Parish Church.

Moira.

FMP has a Benjamin Briggs baptised Ecclesfield 1779 with father Samuel. He had a few brothers.
A Samuel Briggs married Ann Turner in 1764 at Tankersley (also FMP).
Dave