Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
151 Upperthorpe

Hi
Can anyone tell me if 151 Upperthorpe was ever a children's home or similar please?
I have found details for my grandmother Glenfinella Hinchliffes entry to her first school and under parents it lists The Guardians and the address 151 Upperthorpe.
This was not long after her mother had died and I wonder if her father couldn't cope and the children were cared for in some way?
Thank you for any help.

Re: 151 Upperthorpe

Hi everyone
I've now found out that it was one of the Sheffield Scattered Homes.
More digging to be done!

Part of Fir Vale (Sheffield Union) Workhouse. https://www.workhouses.org.uk/Sheffield/ They had 3 onsite homes and several out in the community

Lyn

Photo of it
https://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;y07229&pos=9&action=zoom&id=100928

There's some more details here:
https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/13771-children39s-cottage-homes/#comment-116534

Thank you everyone for all of this information.Its great as I didn't even know that the homes exsisted let alone that my gran had been in one of them.
Can I ask if anyone has had experience of looking at the records held at the Archives about the homes? My gran was born November 1903 and the entry I've found is for 1908 and suggests she may have been there a while as we know her mother died late 1907. May be it could suggest her father couldn't cope. I do know though that they were back together by the 1911 census.

Yes I have looked at them Karen but they are not easy to read. I'll email you some samples and advice this weekend when I am less busy.
Lyn

Thank you Lyn that would be great!

Karen, when their mother died in Jan 1907 the three girls were 12, 6 and 3. Their father would need to keep working so if he did not have a relative willing to take on his 2 youngest, they would go into the Workhouse system. The 12 yr old would be capable of going to school every day and presumably lived at home with her father. The 3 yr old was too young for school so would go into the Workhouse nursery. At the age of 5 (I think November 1908) she would start school and presumably by then would be living in the home.
In September 1910 the father Tom re married. This changed everything. At this point the oldest was 14, probably in a job, but the others were 9 and 7 so still at school and still in the workhouse system. But their father now had a wife and therefore would have to take them both back to be looked after by their new step mother. Without a relative to look after them he (and any other father in a similar predicament) had no choice but to put them in the system in Jan 1907 and he had no choice but to take them back as soon as he married at the end of 1910.
Dave

Everything you have put I agree with Dave. It's just strange that my gran never spoke about it but then at 3 would she remember it, who knows?
I know by the 1911 census my grans older sister was working as a busk stay maker but gran and her other sister were listed as scholars. Strange however that I cannot find reference to grans sister Gwendoline being in the same scattered homes system as she was 8 years old?
Thanks again Dave

Karen
Sent you a couple of emails
Lyn

Thank you so much Lyn. Very interesting reading. I had hoped to get to the Archives today but it wasn't to be!