Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Isaac Chapman 1840 _1910

Hi,
Im still looking for Isaac chapmans resting place ive filled in the parish Record form for wadsley church but still Got 0,results, Elaine walked me thru the process but still i Got 0 results, ive really tried, so am sorry for being a pest, 🙆‍♂️
Regards
Steve s

Instant Messenger: site and followed the insructions but still turned up 0,results, i put in wadsley (church) chapman for surname, and Isaac For father, but still 0 resu

Re: Isaac Chapman 1840 _1910

I checked my CD for Wadsley burials but it only goes up to 1903.
FMP has a 1910 burial at Wadsley for Isaac Chapman Age 70.

If you look back earlier in your thread someone said that the Isaac Chapman born 1840 had father Benjamin, not Isaac.
Dave

Hi Steve,

This is what it will show and all the baptisms will show below.

These are all the headers.

About | Baptisms | Marriages | How to Search | Historical Facts | More Records | BMDs | Other Parishes.......

Church (Wadsley)
Area
Forename
Surname (Chapman)
Father 1st (Isaac)
Mother 1st
Address

The bracketed area is all you need to put in.

and as you can see from below there were 20 returned names.

Query "Church_id Wadsley, Surname of Chapman, Father_1st of Isaac" returned 20 results, see also How to Search.

Its a learning curve you just need to do a few more searches and you will be an old pro.

Take care Elaine.

Instant Messenger: Skype/Messenger

Isaac Chapman aged 79yrs (1883), buried 9 November 1962 at Wadsley, of 82 Luke? Lane.

Moira.

Steve, thanks for your email. In answer to your questions:
FMP is FindMyPast . It is a fee paying database but you can search the index without paying a subscription.
Your problem is you are not searching the right databases. Which computer or tablet or phone does not matter.
Also burials in that period do not give father name so that is a bad way to search for a burial. It is virtually guaranteed to find nothing.
Just to be clear. The burial you want was in 1910 at Wadsley.
Here is his Birth Registration from GRO Index. His mother maiden name was GUEST

Name: Mother's Maiden Surname:
CHAPMAN, ISAAC GUEST
GRO Reference: 1840 S Quarter in WORTLEY UNION Volume 22 Page 646

That will help you find his parents' marriage
Dave

Hi Steve,

Moira as you may have noted has come up with another Isaac in 1883.

I have just found on FMP the following which may answer a few questions that you had.

Isaac Chapman DOB 6th Nov 1883
Ben Lane, Wadsley.
Baptised 3rd Dec 1883 (Wesleyan Methodist)
Mother.. Susannah father Isaac.

That answers why he is not showing up in the Wadsley Parish Church baptisms.

Susannah nee Marshall died 1885? aged 38.?

I will post this so others can offer their two cents worth.

From this I feel we have sorted the two Isaacs out
Father 1840 to 1910
Son 1883 to 1962.

Maybe using yourself then your father you can fit him into this very large Chapman clan from Wadsley.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Steve
If you click on Parish Records over to the left then search in Baptisms for Surname Chapman, Father Name Benjamin and mother Name Hannah you will get 4 answers, (including your Isaac b 1840). Note that all 4 were baptised on the same day in 1852. They are siblings and they were baptised together a few year after their births.
NOTE that Rebecca has no birth date recorded there
However, if you now go to GRO Index (a free to use online database) and search for Chapman, Rebecca, born 1840 plus minus 2 you will find her born WORTLEY in September quarter !840 and her mother maiden name was GUEST. You will find the birth reg of William, Isaac and Henry on the same database (Henry born 1842, died 1843).
The outcome of all this is that your Isaac, 1840 to 1910 had a TWIN SISTER Rebecca.

You said that Isaac was your great grandfather. Can you please tell us the name of your grandfather.
Dave

Steve, to complete the picture on Isaacs parents look over to the left at Parish Records and then Marriages (at the top)
In the search put Harriet Sykes.
You will see she married Benjamin Chapman in 1840 (March 30) and she was a widow whose fathers name was Jno GUEST.
That explains her maiden name of GUEST on Isaac's birth registration (and those of his siblings).
Dave

NO EDIT FUNCTION

APOLOGIES HANNAH Sykes NOT HARRIET
Dave

Steve wishes me to thank everyone who has helped with his query re Isaac (2) and Walter Chapman.

He is going to send for Walters birth registration in 1903 to see if there is a lead there.

Elaine in a very wet Ottawa.

Steve and Elaine
I assume you are not aware that the baptism of Walter and those of his six siblings are in our baptisms. Just search Chapman . Father Isaac, Mother Sarah and all 7 come up together.
Dave

Hi Dave,

Saw them all.......

Another point that turned up that could just be coincidence.....

1939 Index.

Isaac (jnr) Chapaman and wife Alice living at 82 Lakeland

George Bradbury and his wife Sarah A at 84 Lakeland.

Sarah A Bradbury could not have been the mother of Walter back in 1903
as she herself was born in 1892.

I was seeing if there is reason Bradbury is on Walters birth registration was an error.
Thats why I suggested he get hold of the birth cert for Walter

Thats were the mystery is from the very beginning.

Elaine.

Elaine,I realise that many of our contributors are not aware of this problem because it was dealt with off the forum
Therefore here is a summary
1 isaac Chapman 1840 - 1910 married Sarah Marshall and had several children in the 1870s and 80s. All are identified earlier in this double thread. They are no problem. All show up in gro indexand in censuses.
2 After His wife's death 49YR old Isaac remarried to Sarah Clarke spinster age 22 in september 1891 (marrage onthis site)
3. They had 7 children, all baptisms onthis site, and all births registered onGRO. The family shows up clearly on 1901 and 1911 censuses
There is no doubt about the identification. All the children and ages match, the mixed family in 1901 and the new family in 1911.
The thing we cannot explain is that all seven children of the second family are GRO birth registered as mmn BRADBURY,but at the 1891 marriage their mother was Sarah Clarke, a 22 year old spinster with father name John Clarke (marriage onthis site).
We cannot explain how she could consistently be mmn Bradbury on all her 7 children's birth registrations, the first in 1992 just about 9 months after the marriag
Anyone any ideas please?
I wonder if we need to identify Sarah Clarke, or Sarah Bradbury, born about 1869 in 1991 census or earlier
Dav

Found her.
The key document is 1881 Census Mundella Place , Norton
John Clarke 38 Head
Mary Jane Clarke 33 Wife
Sarah Bradbury 12 D in Law
Alice Bradburu 9 D in law
James Bradbury 7 s in law
John Hy Clarke 1 s in law

All these children check out on GRO indec the first 3 mmn Howson. And baptisms on here Mother Mary Jane, Father Thomas.
John Henry checks out as Bradbury and illegitimate.
Mary Jane shacked up with Thomas Bradbury (no marriage) and had the first 3 children (plus another that died age 4)
Thomas Bradbury died age 33 1877 then 1879 John Henry Bradbury born illegitimate.
Before 1881 census Mary Jane shacked up with John Clarke (no marriage) leading to the 1881 Census info above.
John Clarke died 1990 age 39. Have not looked for Mary Jane etc in 1891.
Mary Jane therefore could go by 2 names. She married as Clarke (her mother would be known as Clarke at the time of the marriage) but rapidly put that right by the time her first was born. She was Bradbury Legitimate (though her true parents were not married). Her mother had at least 2 "husbands" that she did not marry legally.
I think we can close this thread now.
Dave

Correction
Sarah therefore could be known by two names, Clarke and Bradbury.