Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Evelyn Muriel Glossop

Evelyn Muriel Glossop married Frederick George Woolridge at Wadsley on 25 Aug and her address is 253 Dykes Lane and Frederick gives his address as Cavalry Barracks York. Would I be right in thinking this would be Hillsborough Barracks? Also, on Ancestry, somebody has posted a picture of him with sargeants strips on his army uniform and I am struggling to find any army records for him on Ancestry or Family Search. Evelyn dies in 1935 on the Isle of Wight, which is where Frederick comes from and he remarries in 1936 to Dorothy L Ward Penny, but he is not with her and their children on the 1939 register. Could he have rejoined or still be in the army then? He dies in the Isle of Wight in 1968. Would be grateful in any info about his army career.

Re: Evelyn Muriel Glossop

Hi Cathie,

I have not looked for them but just wondered if you were aware of this site.

https://www.curiousfox.com/

Where we cover mostly the Sheffield area this site may cover the Isle of Wight. Its free.

You said.

"Cavalry Barracks York." From past research I believe its in York...... not Sheffield. I did know the name of it but just can't remember it at the moment.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Fulford Road Barrack.

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/yorks/city-of-york/pp541-542

Instant Messenger: Skype/Messenger

Hi Cathy,

I think I have found your problem.

Evelyn Muriel Glossop aged 26 and Frederick George "Wooldridge" aged 23 (note the d in his name)
They were married 25th August 1923.

See what you can find on Ancestry.

Elaine.

Instant Messenger: Skype/Messenger

Frederick George Wooldridge birth registered Q3 1901 Isle of Wight, Illegitimate.
In Q4 1918 as WW1 ended he would be just 17 so (unless he lied about his age) he would not yet be in the army. He must have joined up end 1919 or later.
There is no sign of him on the 1921 census )There is a John Woolridge in the army on that census but he was born 1898 in Woolwich. That birth checks out on GRO Index).
This means he was regular army, joining up just after WW1. I am not aware of any soldier records being available for that period.
Even if he left the army before WW2 he will have been 38 yrs old at the time of the 1939 register, and an experienced soldier. Therefore he will have been called up before the register was taken. That explains his absence.
As an experienced soldier at the start of WW2 it is very possible he would quickly rise through the ranks so Sergeant is feasible in that war, even if he was not beforehand.
The only way to obtain his records (from 1920 onwards and including WW2 army records) is to buy them from the army. Cost £30, you need next of kin permission and it takes about a year (or more at present) before you receive them.
( I have my uncles records. He joined up in 1830 age 18 and was recalled from the reserve at the beginning of WW2. He died in Belgium a couple of weeks after D Day. The papers are wonderfully detailed but there was, and is, only one way to get them).

In the photo you have I assume he is wearing WW2 uniform, not WW1.
Dave

No edit function
Should have added he invented a father name at his wedding.
Dave

Hi Cathie,

Royal Artillery Attestations.
Frederick George Wooldridge, 18yrs, born Ryde.
Attested: 4 June 1919 at Winchester, trade Cellarman.
Service No. 1029273.
In the discharge column in red ink is written CO/AA.
Also, he gives no next of kin.

He Re-Attested in 1940, service no. 1686675.
To field A/TK.1.9.44.6139 A.
16.5.46 ZT

There is very little information in the Re-Attestation book.

Moira.

Cathie
If you purchase his 2nd marriage cert you will discover his occupation in 1936. You will also see if he had the same invented father.
Dave
PS Think AA is Anti Aircraft
Field A/TK could be Field Artillery Tank (Corps)
Could ZT mean final discharge? He was 45

Hi All,
thanks for all your replies. Looking at the tree on Ancestry, it looks like he could have known who his father was and the father did not marry his mother until a few years after the birth. Sending for his marriage certificates will see if he names the same man as his father.

Hope this is not too late but the marriage of Evelyn Murial Glossop to Frederick George Wooldridge is on FMP he hnames his father as William Wooldridge (deceased) who was a Seaman.

Hope this helps

Hi John,
Thanks for your reply. That is the name that comes up on Ancestry.

Cathie, that is the fictitious father name I referred to earlier. He invented it to avoid saying he was illegitimate.
Dave