Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Isaac Chapman

Hi Elaine

I need your expertise

I am looking for My great grandfather Isaac chapman, i think My dates for him Are pretty close but suspect, 1861 _1910, he was a game keeper, ecclesfield, wadsley common, think he married a Sarah Bradbury, his father was also names Isaac, ive search ed the st Marys church records ecclesfield sheffield, No sign of him, can you help, as im at a Loss now

Kindess
Regards
Steven, chapman
Thankyou

Re: Isaac Chapman

Hi Steven,

I see what you mean about the illusive Isaac.

I found this in our baptisms.

Could this be his father.

CHAPMAN, Isaac (of Wadsley, born 1840-07-07).
Baptised July 18, 1852, by T H Howard at Wadsley, Sheffield.
Parents name(s) are Hannah & Benjamin (Cutler).

Note the discrepancy in his birth and baptisms.

Could that be because he started an apprenticeship?

Elaine in Ottawa.

*******On FreeBMD.

Deaths Sep 1910
Chapman Isaac 70 Wortley 9c 166

That seems to match the above 1840 Isaac.

Instant Messenger: Skype/Messenger

Hi Steve

I’ve found a burial for an Isaac Chapman who was buried in Wadlsey in 1910 but he wasn’t born in 1860, he was born in 1840. I’m assuming that this is the birth found by Elaine and will, therefore, be the father, Isaac Senior.

He was buried on the 21 July 1910 and was aged 70 when he died.

Carol

Hi

Found the following marriage record for Isaac Chapman (1840-1910)

First name(s) Isaac
Last name Chapman
Birth year 1840
Age 25
Residence Loxley
Father's first name(s) Benjamin
Father's last name Chapman
Marriage date 08 Oct 1865
Marriage place Sheffield, St Nicholas, Bradfield
County Yorkshire (West Riding)
Spouse's first name(s) Susannah
Spouse's last name Marshall
Spouse's age 20
Spouse's residence Loxley
Spouse's father's first name(s) John
Spouse's father's last name Marshall

Carol

Steve/Carol,

There is also a 2nd Marriage in 1891 to a Sarah Clarke spin. Groom Isaac was a widower aged 49 and his father was Benjamin deceased. the Marriage took place at St Philips.

NOTE not showing in our database. Will check it out.

Elaine.

I assume this is him. It may be worth looking at the full article.

Joaeph Coulson, and Jamea Coulson, labourers, Wadsley, ware summoned for having used threats to Isaac Chapman, gamekeeper, Loxley.—Mr. F. E. Macben prosecuted, and Mr. A. Muir Wilson defended.—The case for the prosecution was that on the
14 August 1895 - Sheffield Daily Telegraph - Sheffield, Yorkshire, England

Dave

Isaac Jnr. doesn’t appear until the 1891 census and he was only seven years old; so born in 1884. I’ve followed him through the census returns and he was never a gamekeeper but he was a ganister labourer in a mine. He appears in the 1939 Register, living at 82 Lakeland, Wadsley and is listed as incapacitated. He died in 1962.

Through most of his working life Isaac Snr. was a spring knife cutler and only declares his profession as gamekeeper in the 1901 census; the last census he appears in.

Isaac Snr. had a large number of children and I’m assuming one of them was your grandfather and not necessarily Isaac Jnr.

Carol

Sorry about that guys it is in the Database.

Elaine.

Isaac Chapman Jr married Alice Hartley in 1906 Wortley
On 1921 Census they are in Sheffield with 4 Children Elsie May (1907) Sarah Alice (1910)
Winifred (1915) and Cyril (1918)
Dave

Hi Steve/Dave,

To add to Daves find.
Marriage date 25 Dec 1906

Oughtibridge, Yorkshire (West Riding), England

First name(s) Isaac Chapman (Miner)
Birth year 1883
Births Dec 1883
CHAPMAN Isaac Wortley 9c 271
Father's first name(s) Isaac (Chapman)
Father's occupation Labourer
Age 23
By licence or by banns B
Marital status B
Witness 1 Harvey Waterhouse
Occupation Miner
Witness 2 Mavgery Robert
Residence Oughtibrige

Dedication Church of the Ascension
Event type Marriages
Spouse's first name(s) Alice
Spouse's last name Hartley
Spouse's birth year 1888
Spouse's age 18
Spouse's marital status S
Father name Abraham Hartley (Lab)
Spouse's residence Oughtibrige

At least we have sorted the birth year out for Isaac jnr.

Elaine.

Isaac Chapman, gamekeeper, gets three mentions in the local press around the right time, including the one that Dave T already described:

1892 (Sheffield Daily Telegraph 15/07/1892) two blokes were summonsed after being caught poaching by Dr Payne’s keeper, Isaac Chapman. (Both blokes found guilty)

1895 (Sheffield Daily Telegraph 01/08/1895) four young men on Loxley Common threatened to stone the gamekeeper, Isaac Chapman, and grossly insulted Miss M Philliips in an area the property of the late Dr H Payne (left to a Mr Phillips). (Verdict not reported).

1895 (Sheffield Daily Telegraph 14/08/1895) three youths summonsed for trespass, throwing stones at the keeper (Isaac Chapman) and threatening him. They said he’d chased them and threatened to clobber them and even if they might have been a bit sweary they didn’t hurt Mr. Chapman. Case dismissed.

I wonder if it was the same Isaac Chapman who was evicted from a house on Wadsley Common in 1907. He’d lived there since he was a child, and only paid 6d a week rent. He said it was going to be hard because he’d have to pay at least 10 times as much rent elsewhere (5 or even 6 bob a week) and he was “on the parish”. Nevertheless an order was granted ejecting him from the property because someone had leased the land and wanted to extract ganister from underneath the cottage. (Sheffield Daily Telegraph 31/08/1907).

Cheers,

Andrew P.

Hi Elaine,
Could you please extend My Thanks and absolute gratitude to all your fellow indexers, for All they're hard work on researching Isaac, My self and My dad Are over the moon with the info received, the last bit of the puzzle is finding his burial place and Hope he has a head stone for us to visit 🙏

Thank you so much
Regards
Steve