Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wiliam Henry Wilkinson 1842-1899

I am trying to any info for Wiliam Henry Wilkinson 1842-1899. I have searched BDM census and have come up with 2 possibilities one(the one I believe to be correct has no info anywhere only that he went to Bluecoats school where the cathedral is. I have tried searching for any info on BlueCoats schools but cannot find anything. Any help would be appreciated. Thankyou

Re: Wiliam Henry Wilkinson 1842-1899

Hi Lisa,
You can find info on Wikipedia about the type of schools they were (Charity Schools-students wore blue uniforms).
As for more detailed info I think you have to obtain copies from the National Archives.

HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Born 21st Nov 1841 mmn Capper baptized Jan-Feb 1842 Hon of Henry (grinder) and Elizabeth at Sheffield Parish Cathedral.

1851 Blue Coat School
1861 Aston st, he is single and an apprentice fork and spoon filer.

Regards

Terry

Hi Lisa

William Henry was my great grandfather. It took me some time to find out the info that I've now just come across on this Forum. It's good to have the info I found confirmed.
I would greatly appreciate it if you could share any info you have found, I would gladly do likewise.

Thankyou

lisa
I am trying to any info for Wiliam Henry Wilkinson 1842-1899. I have searched BDM census and have come up with 2 possibilities one(the one I believe to be correct has no info anywhere only that he went to Bluecoats school where the cathedral is. I have tried searching for any info on BlueCoats schools but cannot find anything. Any help would be appreciated. Thankyou
Hi Lisa

The Sheffield Blue Coat School, instituted in 1706, was formerly of East Parade, but was removed to Psalter Lane in 1911; it provides board and education for 100 boys, between the ages of eight and fourteen, and is supported by an endowment and voluntary subscriptions.The new school was erected in Psalter Lane at a cost of £13,200. Governor, H. W. Chesman; matron, Mrs. H. W. Chesman; collector of rents and subscriptions, Thomas Newby, 8 Paradise Square.
source: Kelly's Directory of Sheffield 7 Rotherham 1927.

This building still exists. At some point in the past it became part of the Sheffield Polytechnic as their Art College, which occupied the site there on Psalter Lane, certainly in the early 1970s. Sometime recently all the Art College buildings on the site except the original Blue Coat School building; were demolished. The original building has been renovated and has now become 'Bluecoat House (Apartment Building)' 2 Bluecoat Rise, Sheffield S11 9DX. The rest of the previous Art College site is now occupied by modern housing.

Kind regards

Leipzig