Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Grave number

Hi,
What can you tell me about grave number 17224 at City Road Cemetery ? I think it might be a paupers grave.
Thanks
Gill

Re: Grave number

Hello Gill.

You do not mention the Section or the name of the person buried but Section DD1 has a range of plot numbers that covers 17224.

If DD1 is the right section. that plot is noted as a "Common" grave which is quite different to a "paupers" grave.

Let me know if it is a different Section I would be able to check it out for you.

Tony Morton

Hi,
Yes the number is DD1. There are a number of my Great Grandparents children in there who died as babies and toddlers along with my Great Grandfather who died aged 39. There are other children along with my Great Grandmother who died aged 44 who lived in the area but I can’t find them mentioned here.
What is the difference between a common grave and paupers grave?
Thank you for your help.
Regards
Gill

Hello Gill,

I think the main difference was that a pauper (or their relatives) were unable to meet the costs associated with their burial.

(from an earlier post)

"Common Grave"

One purchased this type of grave for a specified number of burials (so husband and wife could be buried together for example) then after the agreed amount of burials had taken place the grave was then re-sold to other (usually unrelated) families until the graves capacity was reached. It is quite rare for this type of grave to have a memorial.

I hope this helps

Tony Morton