Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Robinson

My GGgrandfather John Robinson b East Torrington, Lincs in 1800 d 14 April 1861 at
27 Granville Lane in Sheffield.
He is buried in Burngreave Cemetery, Grave no 5 Sec N6
His wife Mary b 1811 in Boston Lincs is with John on Granville Lane in the 1861 Census
I can't find a death record and she isn't buried with John
Having looked at the 1871 Census for Granville Lane she isn't there.

Any help / advice appreciated in locating her place of burial / date of death
There are an awful lot of Mary Robinson's on Free BMD !

Re: Robinson

Hi Roger

If it’s the correct Mary Robinson, in the 1871 census she appears to be living with her son, John, and his family. They are living on Allen Street, which is in the Shalesmoor area of Sheffield. She’s down as 65 years old and a widow. She does give her place of birth as Sheffield rather than Boston but a number of my relatives did this once they had been living here for a while.

Carol

Hi (again)

In 1881, she is no longer living with her son. I can only find one death in the time period 1871-1881 and that is a Mary Robinson who died in 1879 aged 69. Unfortunately, I can only find a death registration, I can't find a burial.

Carol

Hi Carol

As you will be aware, some family history information is staring you in the face and it takes someone like your self to bring it to attention !

Many thanks for your response, looking at my information re the family at Allen Street in 1871, I can now see Mary.

Still wondering where she might be buried, further research required. Wonder why she wasn't buried alongside her husband and why did she give her birth location as Sheffield and not Boston
This hobby is frustrating at times !

Carol Whitaker
Hi (again)

In 1881, she is no longer living with her son. I can only find one death in the time period 1871-1881 and that is a Mary Robinson who died in 1879 aged 69. Unfortunately, I can only find a death registration, I can't find a burial.

Carol
Hi Carol and thanks again re the Mary you found died in 1879

Continuing with my Robinson research

My Ggrandmother Mary Robinson ( nee Boland ) died at 148 Albert Road, Sheffield in 1913.
I suspect this location may have been a nursing home, the house is no longer there.

Could someone please look at this address in the 1911 Census
Does it appear to be a nursing home, if so is Mary there at that time ?

Hi Roger,

It would help us greatly if you could remember to put in a date of birth.For questions like this..... Mary Robinson is a very common name in Sheffield. Thanks.

Is she the 51 year old died September qtr of 1913.?

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Roger, if you search in Burials over to the left for that address you will see there is only one answer, and that is yours. That makes it most unlikely it was some sort of nursing home
Dave

Hi Elaine

Mary was born 1843 in Sheffield
She died 9 Jan 1913 in Sheffield

Roger

Hi Dave and thanks

Got that

Roger

Regarding the question about why the place of birth can vary, a lady on another forum was at first perplexed when her ancestor suddenly gave his place of birth as Jamaica on one census, but as London on all the others. He was a sailor and when she looked into it, his last voyage before the census had been to Jamaica and back. She concluded that the enumerator had asked “where have you come from...? “ instead of “where were you born?” Asking “where are you from?” could also give a different response altogether.

Heths

Hi Roger.

Mary A. Robinson death notice.

Deaths Mar 1913
ROBINSON Mary A 70 Ecclesall B. 9c 537

You give two places of birth for Mary........Sheffield & Boston.

I can not find this couple on any census prior to the 1861 census and John died in 1861. He is listed as a gentleman's servant on that one.

Do you have the marriage information? Mary is 11 yrs younger than John could this be a 2nd marriage for John snr. John jnr is listed as being 21yrs old on the 1861 census and Mary his mother as 50 years old. John snr 61 yrs old.

Not an easy family to follow.

Elaine.

I see where I was getting confused.

John snr was married to a Mary
John Jnr a Mary Ann.

ROBINSON, John (Bachelor, age 22, Scale Cutter, residing at Snow Lane).
Married Mary Ann BOULDING, on December 25, 1861, by Edward L Penny (Banns) at
St Jude, Moorfields. Father's name is John Robinson (Ostler).
Married in the presence of Edward Monks, Christina Atkinson (mark).
Notes: Bride signed with her mark.

Sooooo Mary could have been born in Boston Lincs
Mary Ann born Sheffield.

Do I have it right and if so is there a chance that Mary wife of John snr could have remarried after his death in 1861.

Elaine.

Hi Elaine and a big thanks

I now have a headache !!
Mary Ann's surname has caused confusion with Boland being given as an alternative.
Was St Jude a Catholic church, thought the Robinson's were all Catholic's

Roger

Hi Roger,

Took me a while before it clicked. The two messages from Carol were very helpful.

To answer you question re St Judes it's C of E.

St Jude, Cuploa, Gibralter St, Moorfield.

Look at the 1871 census. Do you have it???

Observations.

John Jnr is now a stag Horn Cutler. and they were all born in Sheffield including his mum Mary. BUT...... that could have been the census takers mistake. Her age was listed as 65 on this so she had aged 15 years in the last 10.

I looked at the children next and could not find a birth registration for
Sarah Ann, Harry & William.

BUT. Sarah Ann Boulding was registered Ecclesall Bierlow 9c 272 March qtr 1868. I would say she was born prior to John & Mary Ann's marriage.

So just a few things for you to consider but do have fun doing it.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Hi Elaine and apologies for a delayed reply
Again, many thanks for your help and advice.
Got my thinking head on about the info you have supplied

Thanks

Roger

Anyone with an interest in Boland, Boling and Baldwin

Thanks

Roger