Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mary and Martha Ellis

Hi I am trying to find our information about Mary Ellis married to John Downes 30 April 1816 details on this site. There is also a marriage the same date for a Martha Ellis to William Wootoon (he is also cited as in the presence of on Mary Ellis's entry).

I assume these may be sisters but there are no ages, address or parents names. Is there anyway I would find this information out?

I have managed to trace the family going forward but am stuck going any further back for Mary or John.

Thank you.

Helen.

Re: Mary and Martha Ellis

Hi Helen,

Is this the couple in 1841? From our 1841 index over to the left.

Downes, John of Masbro, Kimberworth. Aged 55 years.
(Piece #1328/5, folio 43a, enumeration district 4.)

Downes, Mary of Masbro, Kimberworth. Aged 50 years.
(Piece #1328/5, folio 43a, enumeration district 4.)

If so maybe you can find a baptism for them. Also try Family Search.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Thanks Elaine, I am not sure, they are in Sheffield for the births of their children, the marriage of their daughter and she is living with her son in Sheffield in 1861.

OK, If you can give us the information you have for 1861 maybe we can zero in a little better.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Thanks Elaine. On the 1861 census she is living with her daughter Eliza Bagshaw (37). It shows her dob as 1777 and she is 84 but I am not sure that is correct I think she maybe younger? It is the right Mary Downes as her daughter appears in later census with other members of the correct family.

When Mary Downs died Sheffield 1863 she was said to be 77.
Martha (45) and William (45) Wootton are in Shalesmoor in 1841 with a 15 yr old daughter Mary.
Dave

Thanks Dave, I think Martha was her sister as they seemed to have married on the same day. Will check out that death date.

Mary Downs buried Shalesmoor St Philp March 8 1863 age 77. She was of Kelham Street
Dave

Thanks Dave the area would be correct so I am sure this is her. Will keep digging for information on their parents.

Helen
It looks like John Downes died in 1850. Buried Sept 25 age 63 at Sheff St Peter. He was of Kellam (sic) St and a weaver.

from the double marriage in 1816 it is most likely that Mary and Martha are related, but they may not necessarily be sisters

Thank you for this I didn't have any dates at all. He was a weaver that was his occupation on the entry for his daughters marriage. Yes, I think they were related in some way not sure if I will be able to find out how.

Helen, have you seen the baptisms of the children of John and Mary. Over to the left.
Dave

Yes I have those Dave and can trace them going forward in time. They are around the Kelham area for most of the time.