Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
364 Greenland Road

Hi there
Is there a way to find out who lived in a property in 1917 or before?
I have found some army discharge info on a Tom Hinchliffe who was discharged from the army in 1917 after the loss of his right eye. There is no date of birth etc listed only an address of 364 Greenland Road, Darnall.
I believe this could be my great grandfather but this wasn't his address at the time of the 1911 census and on the 1921 census his wife and daughters are living on Wheeldon Street and it is written husband in asylum on the census entry. I also know that the asylum was used for the wounded soldiers in 1917. Could this be him?

Re: 364 Greenland Road

Hi Karen,

On the Short Service Attestation papers, Tom Hinchliffe is 25yrs 1 month of age
(born 1890), a miner of 364 Greenland Road, Darnall, Sheffield. He names his
next of kin as Harry Hinchliffe, brother, of 89 Helen Road, Darnall, Sheffield.

Moira.

Our marriage records over to the left answer the question about who was living at 364 Greenland Road in 1917
NIXON, Ellen (Spinster, age 28, ~, residing at 364 Greenland Rd Darnall).
Married Frank ROGERS, on June 12, 1916, by James Haythornthwaite (Banns) at
Holy Trinity, Darnall. Father's name is Charles Nixon (Miner).
Married in the presence of Samuel Whitehead,Martha Nixon.

NIXON, Martha (Spinster, age 24, ~, residing at 364 Greenland Rd Darnall).
Married Thomas Christopher ELAM, on December 26, 1917, by James Haythornthwaite (Banns) at Holy Trinity, Darnall. Father's name is Charles Nixon (Miner).
Married in the presence of Frederick Elam,William Nixon.
Dave

Thank you everyone
Thought I was onto something there but this Tom is the wrong age as mine was born 1859 in Sheffield, father David Hinchliffe.
This guy is an elusive one to track! I cannot find his marriage to Elizabeth Best between 1891 and 1901 and the I cannot find him between 1921 and his death in December 1928 unless he was in the asylum all that time?