Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Clement and William Hall

Clement (b 1911, d2000) and William (b1913) Hall are the sons of William Hall and Mary Ann Mallinson, who farmed in Bradfield. Their elder sister Lydia Mary (b1909), was assisting her father on the farm, which is either Bent Pitts or Peath Pitts on the 1939 census. There are 2 separate entries, one for Lydia Mary and the other for her parents. However, I cannot find anymore information about Clement and William, apart from their births and deaths. The trees on Ancestry cannot help either. Does anybody know anything about either of them?

Re: Clement and William Hall

Hi Cathy,

The 1939 Index is not very clear but I would read it as follows.

William Hall DOB 15/6/1873 Dairy Farmer
Mary Ann Hall DOB 25/6/1875 Housekeeper
over the page
Lydia Mary Hall DOB 25/8/1909 Helps father on farm

Now to the hard part.
The address.
Peat Pitts Farm, Oughtibridge, Wortley.

I would contact Malcolm Nunn at Bradfield Archives and ask for help with old maps. That is unless our DaveT still has all the maps he copied when doing his research in the area.

Clement Hall in 1939.
Farm Horseman at Far Coumes Farm which was next to Burnt Hill Farm.

Hope that you can pin point them better.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Cathy

In 1939, Clement was at Far Coumes Farm, Oughtibridge where he was employed as the Farm Horseman. He gives his date of birth as 13 May 1911 and he is single; I’ve been unable to find a record of marriage for him.

Carol

Cathie,

A few little glimpses of information about the farm from the press, in case it entertains you - only one mentions a William Hall but it might be of interest:

1913 A Mr. Thomas Hulley of Peat Pitts Farm between Bradfield and Brightholmlee was selling up and getting out of farming (your chance to pick up a horse called Kit, 8 beasts, 13 sheep, a dray, a cart, a milk float, a mower and reaper,…) Sheffield Daily Telegraph - Saturday 22 March 1913

1939 William Hall, (65), a farmer of Peat Pitts Farm Bradfield was fined 2 quid for having watered-down skimmed milk for sale from a can which was not marked as such. He said it was for the pigs and the chair of the magistrates said they believed he wasn’t going to sell the milk - but he had to cough up the fine anyway for some reason. Eckington, Woodhouse and Staveley Express - Saturday 29 July 1939

1956 Mrs Hall organised an auction (Wed 21 March 1956 at 13:30) selling 1 horse, 13 beasts, 2 sows, a Fordson tractor, farm implements and some furniture. South Yorkshire Times and Mexborough & Swinton Times - Saturday 17 March 1956

Cheers,

Andrew P.

Hi All,
Thanks for the information. I think that the Mrs Hall, widow, was the wife of William Hall, father of Lydia, Clement and William, so she was selling up their farm goods and animals, as William senior died in 1955. The death of William junior was in Jan 1977 and took place at Nether Farm Bradfield and I cannot find a marriage or 1939 register for him.

Cathie,

Someone called William Hall married Winifred M Coldwell Q2 1939 Volume 9C page 816 Wortley.

In the 1939 register his date of birth was given as 5 December 1912 (not 13), and his occupation was “farm labourer assisting father”:

He was with Winifred M Hall b 1906 (unpaid domestic duties) and Francis J Coldwell b 1871 (grocer now invalid) at “High Lea Cott” in the Wortley rural district. (High Lea Cottage is a listed building in Bradfield, the map says it’s on Brightholmlee Lane).

The only Francis J Coldwell I can find in FMP is a Brummie chimney sweep with a daughter called Winifred KAY Coldwell.

Could he be your William or did you already discount that hypothesis?

Cheers,

Andrew P.

Hi Andrew,
Thanks for the information. It is certainly worth looking into.