Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Is it a paupers grave

Hi there
How do you know if a grave is a paupers grave?

My 2 x great grandfather is buried in a grave with others but I don't recognize the names and also the burials are several years apart.
Thank you

Re: Is it a paupers grave

Hi Karen,

This has been posted many times over the years......

From our Good Friend Tony Morton.

I did most of my "research" at City Road but this was my conclusion.

City Road Cemetery. Classification of grave types.

Purchased"

Normally all the burials in this type of grave were related to or at least known to, the grave owner as they had they had the say of who was buried there and as a result you are more likely to find a memorial on this type of grave.

"Common"

One purchased this type of grave for a specified number of burials (so husband and wife could be buried together for example) then after the agreed amount of burials had taken place the grave was then re-sold to other (usually unrelated) families until the graves capacity was reached. It is quite rare for this type of grave to have a memorial.

"Margin"

These were usually (but not always) reserved for stillborn and neo-natal deaths; as a result, the number of burials in this classification of grave can be quite staggering. These can be hard to locate as they run at 90 degrees to the standard plot lay-out and they rarely have any kind of memorial.

All three classifications can usually be found in all sections.

As to a graves capacity, It often varied depending on factors like the depth of plot the cemetery were able to dig (in some cases the number of burials in a plot can be staggering).

Hope this helps Tony

Instant Messenger: Skype

Elaine in Ottawa
Hi Karen,

This has been posted many times over the years......

From our Good Friend Tony Morton.

I did most of my "research" at City Road but this was my conclusion.

City Road Cemetery. Classification of grave types.

Purchased"

Normally all the burials in this type of grave were related to or at least known to, the grave owner as they had they had the say of who was buried there and as a result you are more likely to find a memorial on this type of grave.

"Common"

One purchased this type of grave for a specified number of burials (so husband and wife could be buried together for example) then after the agreed amount of burials had taken place the grave was then re-sold to other (usually unrelated) families until the graves capacity was reached. It is quite rare for this type of grave to have a memorial.

"Margin"

These were usually (but not always) reserved for stillborn and neo-natal deaths; as a result, the number of burials in this classification of grave can be quite staggering. These can be hard to locate as they run at 90 degrees to the standard plot lay-out and they rarely have any kind of memorial.

All three classifications can usually be found in all sections.

As to a graves capacity, It often varied depending on factors like the depth of plot the cemetery were able to dig (in some cases the number of burials in a plot can be staggering).

Hope this helps Tony
Hi Elaine
Thanks for this information but where or how would I find out which type of the afore mentioned graves were which please?
ie how would I find the owner of a grave for example?

Hi Karen,

If you give names we can check what we have in our database but better still have you checked?

Next option is to contact bereavement services at City Road.

By the way just click on reply when answering that's all that is needed.

Have you checked out the maps for City Road. They will also help.

They are at the top of the burial page. i.e.

***Home | About the Burials | Search Burial Records | MIs | Maps, Photos | More Burials | BMDs | Indexers |***

Names and dates are always a good way to go when asking for help.

Have fun

Elaine in Ottawa.

Hi Elaine
The grave I am looking at is in City Road reference Grave Number 7438 Section V1.
My great grandfather is George Phillipson died 1940 but I don't recognise the others in there.
Thanks

Hello Karen

I have checked the burial book and it is a "Common" Grave.

Cheers Tony

Hi Tony
Thanks for your help. Is there a way for me to view the burial book as I'm also interested in another grave

City Road Grave No 16051
Section EE1

Thanks

Hi Karen,

The explanation of Grave types I posted 2nd message down....Common Grave covers the information you gave us.

If you post all dates and names here Tony will check for you I am sure.

Elaine in Ottawa.

hi Elaine

The grave I mentioned is the resting place of my great grandfather Tom Hinchliffe who passed December 1928.
Benjamin Morton who is in the same grave I believe to be his brother in law.
Yet Sarah who is the connection between them is not in the grave?
Thank

I've just found Sarah's grave
It's listed as 16051 Section EE1 but I cannot see any other grave members?

Hello Karen

The burial for Sarah (Wilkinson) has been mis transcribed as Section EE rather than section EE1 that is why they do not all show in the same grave, I am sure Elaine will be able to correct the entry when she reads this,

The burial books are available to view at the archives on Shoreham street, I have images of the pages that we transcribed from so I am able to check any queries that arise.

Section EE1 plot 16051 is noted as a Purchased plot but my records do not show a headstone there.

Cheers Tony

Hi Tony,

Have changed the section to EE1.
Thanks Elaine.

Thank you Elaine and Tony
Can I ask please does it say who owns the grave?

Hello Karen

The Grave owners are noted in a separate book (Grave book) to the book we transcribed from (Burial book) but again I believe they are available on fiche or film at the archives. They may even have been digitised by now. I am a little rusty on the progress at the archives

Cheers Tony

Thanks for your help Tony
I have to make a visit to the archives for something else so I will take a look at the fiche you mentioned. I think the owner is going to be Sarah Wilkinson as Benjamin Morton was her husband who died first. She then married John Wilkinson who died as a result of WW1 and has a grave abroad and Tom Hinchliffe was her brother who died in 1928 and then lastly herself in 1941.