Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Francis J Seed

Hello,
I'm looking for information on a Francis James Seed (often referred to as Francis J Seed).
He died in Sheffield in 1965 aged 73yrs though born elsewhere and was a member of the amateur theatre groups in Sheffield in the 1930s and 40s. I've gained info from the newspaper archives about the productions he was in and from ancestry sites about his family details, DOB etc.. but I'd like to get to know the man better - photo, occupation, where he lived etc... I'm not related to him but I've a common interest in historical fiction and his name popped up recently and I'd love to know more. Thanks, Rose

Re: Francis J Seed

According to the recently published 1921 census he was born in Northants in 1892, was then living in Gainsborough, Lincs, and was a bank cashier with the National Bank, England.
Dave

Dave, I can't thank you enough. I knew about his birth but didn't know he was a bank cashier. I am so grateful. Thanks, Rose

I also discovered this information re service in WW1. Francis James Seed - service number 29244 West Riding Regiment (Duke of Wellington's) I think he was there 1914-1917 at least. If there is anywhere where I can gather further information on where he was during the war/what battles he might have been at, was he awarded a medal? Was he injured etc... I'd be delighted if anyone could send me in the right direction or shed some light for me. Thanks again

Hi

Information from the 1939 Register:-

Address: 25, Conduit Road, Sheffield
D.O.B: 13 August 1892

He is single and has a live-in housekeeper.

I have found some army records for a Francis J Seed but it appears to be someone other than the Sheffield based Francis J Seed as this Francis' army number is 3/21894 and he was in the York and Lancaster Regiment; though, interestingly he has the same year of birth.

Actually, just opened the record and it states he is a bank clerk so too much of a coincidence. I’ll take a look through and get back to you.

Carol

Carol that's amazing.
The same site on Ancestry also had these details for him and they may be correct and not the West Riding info
Military Regiment 3/21894
Battalion 3rd Battalion
Military Company/Regiment York and Lancaster Regiment
Event Type Military Service
Event Date 1915
Digital Folder Number GBM/WO363-4/007310433/00269

His father was a clergyman and they seemed to travel about a bit with some of his siblings born in different locations.
Thanks Carol and if you do find anything, I'm very grateful. I did have a feeling he was a single man alright. Cheers

Hi Rose

Putting information together for you and will email when I'm done; it's definitely the correct Francis.

The records are very faded so taking a bit of time to decipher and some bits I'm unable to decipher at all. From what I can gather he never actually saw active service because of disability and only ever managed one route walk.

Carol

Hi Rose

I've sent you an email

Carol

To back up Carol's excellent findings re WW1
The Medal Card for the man whose service number was 29244 was NOT Francis JAMES Seed. He was simply Francis Seed and he was Killed in Action on 7.6.1917.
Dave

Thanks Dave, it's great to rule him out. Poor guy. And Carol discovered that our Francis J Seed was discharged due to a disability (not attained on duty) Thanks, Rose

Just found this wonderful entry by the Totley Historical Group with plenty of info too https://www.totleyhistorygroup.org.uk/totley-in-ww1/survivors-s-z/