Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Isabella Allen - check please

Hi,

In the 1841 census Isabella Allen was 8 years old, living with parents Thomas and Charlotte at Flocktons Yard.
In 1851 she was an 18 year old servant at Grange Farm, Abbeydale.
You have a baptism for her 31 Aug 1852 at St Jude’s, with the right parents Thomas and Charlotte, and the trade for Thomas is correct, but it says her DOB was 9 June 1850.
Please can you check? I can’t find a birth in 1850 on FreeBMD.
Thanks!

Heths

Re: Isabella Allen - check please

It is not possible for the 1850 birth to be the Isabella Allen on the 1841 census it could be just a coincidence that 2 girls born nearly 20 years apart to parents of the same name and fathers occupation the same. Another possibility is that it is the same parents that have had 2 daughters born all those years apart. It happened quite often if the older one died

Heths
FMP has the same 1852 baptism for Isabella Allen with parents Thomas and Charlotte and it also says she was born 1850.
Dave

Hi Dave, thank you for checking.
It’s a bit of a mystery then, because GRO doesn’t have an Isabella Allen registered in Sheffield or Ecclesall Bierlow in 1850.
Also I can’t find the one born 1850 in the 1851 census.

Heths

Heths
Do not rule out the possibility that the birth date of 1850 may be an original error in the church register.

ALLEN, Isabella (of HERMITAGE STREET, born 1850-06-09).
Baptised August 31, 1852, by George Sandford at St Jude, Eldon Street.
Parents name(s) are Charlotte & Thomas (Table Knife Cutler).

In the 1851 census Thomas Allen b 1802 was living on HERMITAGE ST with wife Charlotte (nee Bishop)(b1807) and 5 children born between 1827 and 1844.
This is a very strong indication that Isabella was born in the same period.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I renewed my subscription to FMP to take a look at the baptism. Unfortunately they don’t have the original image, but their transcription doesn’t give any year of birth, it’s left blank....??

Heths

Heths, sorry I misled you on the date in Fmp. I do not have a subs but thought I saw evidence for the 1850 birth date. My error.
I do not know if Elaine can check the original.
I am in no doubt that she is actually 19yrs old at the baptism in 1852. There are just too many coincidences of parents, occupation and now address.
Dave

Hi Heather,

Nice to see your name.

Terry our photographer has photographed St Judes and I will give him a nudge to see if he can find her.

The transcriber and checker I would trust their work so it may not help.

ALLEN, Isabella (of Hermitage Street, born 1850-06-09).
Baptised August 31, 1852, by George Sandford at St Jude, Eldon Street.
Parents name(s) are Charlotte & Thomas (Table Knife Cutler).

About her not being on BMD or the GRO at that time it was very iffy if folks did indeed register their children. Even if it was a different child have you checked to find a death or with any other siblings if they were registered.

Off to check with Terry.

Elaine.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Heather,

Just heard back from Terry and what we have in our database is what is in the baptism registers.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype