Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Alfred Gibbon - military service in WW1 (born 1885)

Good Evening
I have been fortunate to have come across some modest military memorabilia for my paternal grandfather who I know 'served' in the AOC during WW1 as a corporal.
I have his uniform leather badge with his ID no which reads as GIBBON A CE AOC 021082.
He was a Yorkshire man living in Sheffield on City Road.
I would dearly love to know which regiment he was assigned to and indeed if he was part of any military campaign/awarded any medals.
I also have been given some notebooks which he kept during his time in the army with lots of technical drawings of armaments, he may have been an military engineer?
I would be so very grateful if someone could point me in the right direction to find out more about his military life. Fingers crossed, and thankyou for your time.
Mandy Cooke

Re: Alfred Gibbon - military service in WW1 (born 1885)

Mandy
His WW1 Medal Card is available (free to view on Ancestry.com)
Alfred Gibbon Army Ordnance Corps (AOC) 021082
He was awarded the British Medal and the Victory Medal which means he served abroad (probably France). Because he was NOT awarded a 14 Star or a 15 Star means that his arrival on a foreign shore for service must have been later than 31st December 1915.
Based on his Number it looks like he enlisted in early August 1916. This almost certainly means he was called up rather than being a volunteer.
About 2/3 of WW1 service records were lost in a bombing and fire in WW2 and it looks like Alfred's were in that lost 2/3.
Dave

Re: Alfred Gibbon - military service in WW1 (born 1885)

Hello Dave
My goodness that was a speedy response!
Thank you for your efforts,and the information passed on. Gestimating that my great grandfather was in France at some point makes sense of some previous old faded 'correspondence' photos I have,but what a pity that the service records have perished.
I shall take a look at ancestry.com on your advice.
many thanks once aagain
Mandy