Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Burngreave Query - Lily Roberts - 2 day old infant (1894-1894)

Hello.

A relative of mine - Lily Roberts - died aged 20 1894. her death certificate links the cause of death to childbirth. She is buried in burngreave cemetery and her details are included in your database.

ROBERTS, Lily (Spinster, age 20).
     Died at 22 Flora Street; Buried on August 21, 1894 in Consecrated ground;
     Grave Number 77, Section S2 of Burngreave Cemetery, Sheffield.
     Parent or Next of Kin if Available: . Remarks: P.
     Plot Owner: Henry ROBERTS of 22 Flora Street. Page No

I am searching for the details of the child.

On another database i have found reference of a Lilly Roberts - aged 2 days, buried in burngreave on the same date as above - 21/8/1894 - a likely candidate ? but no record of this child on sheffield indexers transcribe of the burngreave records (unless i have missed it, sorry !)

is there a way of checking back in the original records to see if there is a link between the two ?

Kind regards

Luan,

Re: Burngreave Query - Lily Roberts - 2 day old infant (1894-1894)

Not exactly what you are asking, but it may very well help or be interesting.

A 20-year old Lily Roberts had an obituary in the Sheffield Daily Telegraph 25 Aug 1894. You need a FindMyPasy subscription (or maybe another) to see it online. Unfortunately I do not.

Hello Luan
Below is a record of the recorded transcription for this grave. I have checked the original images bur cannot find any reference to a Roberts child buried at the same time. There is a headstone there but it is face down
Perhaps the other site has read the age wrongly.

C/S2-77 ROBERTS I L M O LILY the bel dau of SARAH ROBERTS who dep this life Aug 18,
PICKERING 1894 age 20yrs. "Day by day we all do miss her, words would fail our loss to tell, but in Heaven we hope to meet her, evermore with her to dwell". Also of GEORGE PICKERING who dep this life March 14, 1914 age 56yrs. Also of the ab nmd SARAH ROBERTS who dep this life Feb 4, 1918 age 66yrs. "Gone from our home, but not from our hearts".

Regards, Christine. Friends of Burngreave Cemetery

There is a death for Lily Roberts on the GRO for the correct quarter. If she was 2 months then the only record to fit on the GRO births is Lilian Ann Roberts mmn Ramsden.

Cate did a fantastic job finding that death notice in the Telegraph, I have no idea how she managed it. (The OCR in the site I used mangled the transcription completely).

Anyway, it says that Lily Roberts died aged 20 at 22 Flora St.

Cheers,

Andrew P.