Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mary Jane Kirk

I am looking to find information on my ancestor Mary Jane Dillon born in 1863 in County Kilkenny Ireland. She married in Sheffield in June 1884 to Henry Harvey Kirk. Her father is listed as William Dillon deceased. I would like to know when and how she arrived in Sheffield and if she had any siblings. Thank you.

Re: Mary Jane Kirk

Name Mary J Dillon
Sex Female
Birth Date 1863
Birthplace County Kilkenny, Ireland
Birthplace (Original) Kilkenny, Ireland
Military Regiment Army Hospital & Medical Corps
Source Collection Title British nationals armed forces births 1761-2005
Line Number 57
Page Number 24
Source Publication Title GRO Regimental Birth Indices (1761 to 1924)
Do not know if this will help/

Thank you. I believe her father William was at Curragh Camp so this ties in. Would love to find out when and why she found herself in Sheffield.

Hi Helen,

Many British solders were stationed in Ireland. I had thought it might be the 15th Regiment that I know was in Ireland and Sheffield.

My Attercliffe born grandfather was in the Royal Inniskillin Regiment stationed in Ireland.

I think I have found a similar site to the one I knew many years ago.

https://www.britishempire.co.uk/forces/armyunits/armyunit.htm

If you look at the right hand side of the page you will notice it says
Infantry. If you have a good look there you might find where the regiments were stationed.

It's still an interesting read.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Helen,
There is an 1881 census record on Family Search website for a residence in Sheffield you may want to check out.

1881-Gilpin Street,Nether Hallam,Ecclesall Bierlow
Jane Dillon age 18 (B:1863 Ireland) Charwoman, single
Margaret Dillon age 36 (1845 Ireland) Charwoman-Widow
Frank Dillon age 7 (1874 Aldershot/Hampshire)
Maggie Dillon age 5 (1876 Sheffield)
Willie Dillon age 0 (1881 Sheffield)
plus 2 boarders.

We know Mary Jane's father(William Dillon) was deceased by 1884 when she married Henry Kirk.
If the above is the correct family, William probably died 1880/1881.

There is also a baptism for a Marguerita Dillon
Born: 21st Oct/1875. Baptized: 5th February 1876 at Saint Vincent's Sheffield.
Parents: Gulilelmi (William) Dillon and Margaritae
On the GRO birth reg. for Margaret in 1875 the maiden name of the mother is Houghton.
HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

The gro index says William Dillon birth registered q2 1881 Ecclesall Bierlow was illegitimate so probably was born to (Mary)Jane.
There is a death for 39 Yr old William Dillon in q1 1876 Ecclesall Bierlow.
It looks like they arrived in Sheffield between 1873 and 1875.
Dave

Frank was birth registered Francis Dillon q4 1872 at Farnham. Mmn HOTTON.
Dave

If Wiliam died Q1 1876 he could well be the Wiliam Dillon who was buried at St Michael's churchyard in the Rivelin Valley. From their helpful PDF:

Reference 4722
Date 8 March 1876
Section PAT
Plot E
Row 50
Name DILLON WILLIAM
Address 39 FINDON STREET

Incidentally, as a speculative footnote, there was an incident in York in May 1875 where a private in the Second West York Militia, William Dillon from Sheffield, was assaulted. A Mrs Richardson gave him a swig of beer and then her husband Richard Clarkson lost the rag and gave him a hell of a kicking. Richard Clarkson was fined 10 bob. (Sheffield Daily Telegraph - Tuesday 25 May 1875)

If William Dillon joined the Milita after the end of his career in the regular army then could that have been him?

Cheers,

Andrew P.

When I was talking about that newspaper article I got some names mixed up. It was of course a Mrs Clarkson and her husband Richard Clarkson.

Also I should have mentioned that I was assuming that WIlliam Dillon would have been on his annual session of training with the Militia which could have resulted in him being temporarily billeted in York.

Cheers,

Andrew P.

Thank you so much I am new to all this! Yes this is them I did have the name Haughten so all fits in. I have now found out William was in the Army Hospital Corp and in 1861 and 1871 was at the HQ which I understand to be Kent so the birth of a son in the South would be correct. St Vincents played a big part in the Kirks lives too.

Thank you I will check this out.

Thank you this is very useful information. I also wonder if the child could have been Margaret's if she was a widow by then and not remarried. Mary Jane did go on to have a family with Henry Kirk but I can't see a Willie living with them. Will do some more digging.

There is a potential death for William Dillon age 1 in q1 1883 Ecclesall Bierlow. The correct Willie would be short of his 2nd birthday. He was buried at ST Michael see burials over to the left. In the absence of a baptism the only way to find his mother is to purchase his birth cert. It is available in Pdf format for £7
Dave

Hi Dave et al,
There is a potential baptism for William(under Gulielmus) born 1881 with parents: Maria Joanna Dillon and Bradley Roberts

:sleuth_or_spy:

Edit: Could be Mary Jane

Yes I just found that birth. It would fit the dates etc. No idea who Bradley Roberts is though and interesting the child is called Dillon not Roberts. Mary Jane is listed as Spinster when she married Henry Kirk.

Helen
This seems to fit quite well:
Edward Bradley Roberts birth q3 1862 Chesterfield (GRO Index)

From the marriages over to the left:
ROBERTS, Edward Bradley (Bachelor, age 20, Moulder, residing at 15 Hoyle St).
Married Mary Ann BOTTOM, on March 25, 1883, by J Turton Parkin (Banns) at
St Philips Church, Shalesmoor. Father's name is John Roberts (Printer).
Married in the presence of Thomas Cutler,Ann Cutler(mark).

Right place, right time
Dave

Edit Edward B Roberts born 1862 Chesterfield living in Providence Road Ecclesall Bierlow 1881 census

Thanks Dave T I am really confused now so my Mary Jane Dillon may be this Mary Jane having had the child William
There is a potential baptism for William(under Gulielmus) born 1881 with parents: Maria Joanna Dillon and Bradley Roberts

This does all make sense see press clipping below

So it seems that Mary Jane Dillon may have had a child with Roberts in 1881 and then he went on to marry Mary Ann Bottom?

She seemed to be a character!

Sheffield Independent - Thursday 04 January 1883
Stealing a Jacket from a Public-house. — Mary Jane Dillon, No. 3 house, No. 7 court, Gilpin street, and Mary Ann Bottom, No. 60, Broomhall street, were charged with having stolen a woman's jacket, of the value of lis., the property of Lucy Dalton, of No. 11, Park hill lane, from the Lyceum Hotel, Langsett road. There was a public tea and dance at the Lyceum on the night of the 28th ult. The prisoners and Mrs. Dalton were all there, and when the latter wanted to go home she could not find her jacket. She gave in- formation to Mr. J. Jones Banks, tbe landlord, and he called in Sergeant Oliver, who took the prisoner Dillon into custody, she having been seen in the women's cloak room. When charged with stealing the jacket she said, " Yes, find it." On Monday Edward Roberts, moulder, of No. 174, Providence road, went to the prisoner Bottom, and said if she would give him the jacket he would give it to the woman who belonged to it. She gave it to him, and he banded it to Harriet Bell, Mrs. Dalton's sister. — ln answer to the charge, the prisoner Dillon said she took it and gave it to Bottom, and Bottom said Dillon gave her the jacket, and told her not to say anything about it. — The prisoner Dillon, who had previously been twice convicted, was committed to prison for three months. Bottom was ordered to pay 30s.

Helen , wow.
Nothing to be confused about. The evidence is clear.
Did you notice that in early January 1883 she was committed to prison for 3 months. One month later her child William was buried, presumably by her mother.
In some respects you are very lucky. It is very rare that a father is identified for an illegitimate child.
Family history keeps delivering new things to learn from. It is rarely boring
Dave

Thanks for the clarification and to Andrew for the press article.

I didn't notice the dates but think we can assume that the child that died was her William.

Yes lucky the father was named.

Finding it all so interesting I am sure I will be contacting the forum again!

The records of Mary Jane's criminal career are on Ancestry.
She was born 12 March 1863 baptised 22 March 1863 @ St John's Kilkenny City. Parents William Dillon and Margaret Haughton married 1860 Curragh Camp Kildare and Leighlin.

Hi Helen et al,
I think there may be a couple more births in Ireland.

PETER DILLON B:22/Mar/1867 BOHERBUOY (Boherbui) County Limerick, Ireland.
Parents: Margaret Haughton and William Dillon

PATRICK JAMES DILLON B: 10/Sept/1869 FERMOY, Cork, Ireland.
Parents: ditto

FERMOY did have a military Barracks with a military hospital.

I have found a couple of confusing census records for 1841 WILLIAM DILLON age 5 (birth est. 1836)
Birthplace: Ireland
Res. WINCHESTER BARRACKS, St.Thomas/ Lymington/ Hampshire. England. No one else listed.

1851 WILLIAM DILLON aged 24 (birth est.1827)
Birthplace: Dublin, St. Andrews
Res: Medway, Chatham, Kent, England.
(There was a Military Hospital/Medical Training School already established at Fort Pitt and later three other forts added.)
Refernces: Family Search website
HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Thank you. I dismissed the Peter and Patrick as they weren't listed with the family in 1881 as below
1881-Gilpin Street,Nether Hallam,Ecclesall Bierlow
Jane Dillon age 18 (B:1863 Ireland) Charwoman, single
Margaret Dillon age 36 (1845 Ireland) Charwoman-Widow
Frank Dillon age 7 (1874 Aldershot/Hampshire)
Maggie Dillon age 5 (1876 Sheffield)
Willie Dillon age 0 (1881 Sheffield)
plus 2 boarders.

I am not sure about William there is no age on his marriage entry so I have no idea of his birth date.

Hi Helen,

Do you know about the General Register Office Site? You can check their birth registrations out.

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/indexes_search.asp

" Iam not sure about William there is no age on his marriage entry so I have no idea of his birth date."

It shows the following. (GRO)

Name: Mother's Maiden Surname:

DILLON, WILLIAM - No mothers maiden name.
GRO Reference: 1881 J Quarter in ECCLESALL BIERLOW Volume 09C Page 308

DILLON, MARGARET HOUGHTON
GRO Reference: 1875 D Quarter in ECCLESALL BIERLOW Volume 09C Page 320

Elaine.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Thanks Elaine, yes I had these. Margaret was Mary Jane's sister and William born 1881 was Mary Jane's child.

The William Dillon I have no idea about his birth date is Mary Jane and Margaret's father.

Will keep digging.

Helen
The death for William Dillon in Sheffield in 1876 is almost certainly the right one. When he died he was said (presumably by his wife and therefore accurately) to be 39. This gives an approx birth year of 1836.
FMP has Military records for 4 William Dillons born between 1836 ands 1839. Those four original records must be worth viewing for clues. Three of them signed up in Ireland.

On a second note, you say "I dismissed the Peter and Patrick as they weren't listed with the family in 1881"
As Wendy said, there is no doubt their parents were William Dillon and Margaret Haughton. And their birthdates nicely fill the big gap between Mary Jane (1863) and Frank (1872). I think you should assume they are not in the 1881 census because they died young, probably in Ireland
Dave

Thanks Dave I will try and check this out and to Wendy too.

Yes I see what you are saying about Peter and Patrick. It would all fit I will have a look and see if there are any death details for them. It would be a coincidence I suppose if there were another William Dillon and Margaret Haughton at the same time. I know Mary Jane came from Kilkenny as this information was passed down from relatives and it could be her brothers were born in different areas of Ireland due to William being in the Army.