Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Nurse Ethel Swift WW1

Hi can anyone help me find this nurse died 1920 buried in Fulwood. She is mentioned in the Sheffield daily telegraph on the 29th March 1920 and an obit on the 31st March. Any help appreciated

Re: Nurse Ethel Swift WW1

Here's a bit to go on.

https://i.postimg.cc/j2vBQxmf/Snap-2022-02-14-at-10-39-50.png

Edit...when you say find, do you mean find the grave of?

The register of burials for Christ Church Fulwood says that she was buried there, 30 March 1920, age 31. Entry number 931 which also has "1678" written in red (I don't know what that signifies).

She has an impressive obituary and you have to respect everything that she did.

Cheers,

Andrew P.

Yes I would like to find her grave. Thanks for the link. She deserves to be recognised by the CWGC as everything I have seen about her death points to her illness being contracted in the service of her country.

Hi

Ethel's burial record from FMP:-

First name(s) Ethel
Last name Swift
Age 31
Birth year 1889
Burial date 20 Mar 1920
Burial place Sheffield, Christ Church, Fulwood

Carol

Wayne,

Did you also see the entry in the The Edinburgh Gazette of 6 March 1919 Issue 13412 Page 1055? (I imagine it must have been in the London Gazette as well).

Ethel Swift, a sister in the Territorial Force Nursing Service was decorated with the order of the Royal Red Cross second class (alluded to in some of the newspaper articles).

The RRC was founded by Queen Victoria who felt that there should be an official decoration to reward women who showed exceptional service and dedication in nursing sick and wounded servicemen.

I wonder if Ethel died as a result of the tail end of the terrible 'flu pandemic that broke out in 1918? (The lingering malaria would not have helped).

Cheers,

Andrew P.

Thanks for that Andrew. I knew that Ethel had been awarded that sadly never received it as she died before. The medal was presented to her parents.