Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tinsley St lawrence

I am planning a visit to Sheffield next week to search for the graves of some relatives. buried at St Lawrence, and hoping to narrow down the search rather than tramp the whole churchyard. Can anyone give me some idea which part of the churchyard was used in 1912/1915 (Jonas & Elizabeth Oates) and for 1930/1949 (Charles & Florence Yates). As expected there are no plot numbers to help.
Thanks
Darryl

Re: Tinsley St lawrence

Hi Darryl,

The only information I can find is that St Lawrence Burials were indexed for the NBI and only went to about 1910 which doesn't cover the years you are looking for.

The records for this church have been deposited with Sheffield Archives so I would start there. Not sure if contacting the church would help either.

I don't know how big the cemetery is but it could be a wasted journey for you without further information.

Regards.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Darryl

Just a word of warning as I had a negative experience when I went to visit a family grave at St. Lawrence Church. My grandfather’s parents and his oldest brother were buried there. I went with him to visit the grave regularly until I was about 15 or 16 years old.

About a year after my grandfather’s death in 2003, I went to visit the grave and I took some flowers. I knew exactly where the grave was but was horrified to find the headstone had gone. A few days later I made contact with the church to find out what had happened to it. They got back to me a couple of weeks later saying that there was no record of these people ever being buried there. Concerning considering that all three burials are on FMP and show them being buried there.

So, as Elaine says, your best bet will be Sheffield Archives; especially if you’re travelling a long way to get here.

Carol

Thanks Elaine/Carol
Looks like I'll have to walk the graveyard after all as it doesn't seem that the church has much help to offer. I'm travelling from Middle Earth (Lancashire) so not too far and I'll co-opt my daughter and wife to help, on the promise of a pub lunch.

Darryl

Hi Darryl,

Just to give you further information on St Lawrence, Tinsley.
It was a Chapelry of Tinsley, Rotherham and became a separate parish in 1718. The Church was rebuilt in 1878.

Registers held at Sheffield Archives.
Baptisms 1711 to 1967
Marriages 1711 to 1968
Burials 1813 to 1967.

S&DFH completed the burials from 1813 to 1901 (NBI)

I would certainly give Sheffield Archives a call before venturing into the churchyard.

Hope this helps.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype