Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
HELP NEEDED

Hi,
A branch of my ancesters has become very difficult. I have a birth certificate of Harry Tully Harrison dob 1898 Chesterfield, Derbyshire - mother Sarah living at 1, Brewery Lane, Chesterfield, Derbyshire. Could anyone please tell me what else I could do to find out the name of the father to enable me to go back. I am told that the mother passed away soon after the birth and that Harry lived with some Aunties. However I don't know how true this is.

I would be grateful for any advice.

Many thanks

Heather

Re: HELP NEEDED

Hi Heather

If Sarah was single and theres no fathers name on the Birth Certificate then the chances of identifying a father are very slim - with nothing else to go on.

Theres a Harry Tully Harrison married Winifred ORourke in West Derby in 1931 - so if thats him (?) you could send for their marriage certificate and see if he names a father. But even if he had named someone - remember it may not actually be his birth father (or even a real person).

The middle name Tully may be a clue - unless thats a family name specific to Sarah (?)

You'd need to check the 1901 and 1911 census to find out where he was living and who with. You dont say if the aunties are his aunties or Sarahs, but if you cant find Harry, you'll need to try tracing the aunties as he may have been included on any census with their surname (if it wasnt Harrison). Or prove that the story wasnt true!

Denise

Hi Heather et al,
There was another marriage record for a Harry Tully Harrison in 1919 June qtr. and depending on how you look it up, the marriage is in West Derby, Lancs. or West Ham, Essex.
Married to: Violette B.(or P) Woodrutter
This marriage produced 3 children found on GRO.
William Harry Harrison B:1920 W.Derby
Stanley John B: 1921 W. Derby
Violet B: 1925 Manchester South

Violette (Violet) P. Harrison possibly died Dec qtr 1927 West Derby age 25 placing her birth around 1902.
There was another death in 1929 also that may be a possible fit.
I cannot find her birth maybe others will have more luck.
Looks like there were a number of children from Harry's second marriage to Winifred O'Rourke.
HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Thank you Wendy. Harry was married twice so you are on the right track. Finding his father is the difficult part of my research. None of the family seems to know anything

Kind regards

Heather

Heather, for what it may be worth, in the 1881,1891 and 1901 censuses there is only one TULLY family in Chesterfield
they are father Edward b 1844 Devon, Mother Elizabeth b1843 Staffs died 1891, a daughter Rachel b 1880 and 2 sons b 1874 and 1876. It may be worth looking up their addresses to compare. Of course you could not be certain.
Dave

Another possible line of enquiry. Did Harry fight in WW1 ? If so, his enlistment papers might name a next-of-kin.

Heths

On Harry's birth registration on FMP, his mother's maiden name is given as Harrison which suggests she was unmarried at the time of his birth. Co-habiting with Harry's father is a possibility as is Harry's dad being absent.

Were the family Catholics by any chance?

HEATHER JENKINSON
Hi,
A branch of my ancesters has become very difficult. I have a birth certificate of Harry Tully Harrison dob 1898 Chesterfield, Derbyshire - mother Sarah living at 1, Brewery Lane, Chesterfield, Derbyshire. Could anyone please tell me what else I could do to find out the name of the father to enable me to go back. I am told that the mother passed away soon after the birth and that Harry lived with some Aunties. However I don\'t know how true this is.

I would be grateful for any advice.

Many thanks

Heather
A tree on Ancestry ( if it's correct) has all the answers...it's showing Harry Tully Harrison, b Nov 1898 Chesterfield, mother Sarah Ward b1869...interestingly the owner of the page has no other information on Sarah. It shows his father as being Harry Harrison b 1874 Burnley, d 1925 Liverpool...which may connect well to the West Derby connections suggested above. There are photo's of both Harry's on the page.

Edit...Wendy in Guelph has nailed the family..he married Violet Woodrutter, b 1900 d 1927.
He served in WW1 as No 64296 H T Harrison, Welsh Regiment.
EDit 2...Violet(ta) was actually Violet Wood Rutter, her father was John Wood Rutter.

https://i.postimg.cc/6prPYQcb/Snap-2022-02-04-at-17-38-32.png

https://i.postimg.cc/63JLSVQd/Snap-2022-02-04-at-17-42-08.png

Heather,
Are you sure that the address for Harry Tully Harrison's birth was 1 Brewery LANE? I can only find a Brewery STREET in Chesterfield. Could it have been a hospital?
According to some of those Ancestry family trees Harry was at some time in Orkney. Does that mean anything to you?

Dave