Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Family Graves

I am hoping you can help me find where three of my ancestors are buried. Their records all say Sheffield but I am unable to locate where they are buried.

Wilfred Hamlin Rodgers died March 1947
Pauline Peatfield Rodgers 1881
Jean Rodgers 1882

The family originated from Stocksbridge but I know families moved about. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Family Graves

Morning Marlene,

Have you tried FreeBMD to at least get a death date.

Did the ladies marry?

Don't forget that if they are recent burials they probably have not been transcribed.

By the way the one I checked, Wilfred was born 24th Oct 1882 and baptised in Thurgoland.

Looks as if his full name is Wilfred Hamlin Peatfield Rodgers. Died in Sheffield aged 64 (1947) Sheffield 2d 22.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Note. I found Pauline buried 1881 at St Philips.
No Jean.

Instant Messenger: Skype

What I know so far is that Hamlin Peatfield Rodgers 1855-1907 mother Pauline Peatfield Rodgers 1819-1881 no husband found. His wife Jane Rodgers (Eaton 1860-1882)

Wilfred Hamlin Rodgers Oct 1881 - March 1947 wife Francis Rodgers (Cartledge) 1885-1953. I find that they are listed as death Sheffield but cannot find out any grave details.

Hi Marlene

I have found Pauline Peatfield Rodgers was buried 27 Dec 1881 at Wardsend

Angela

Hi Marlene, Have you tried Sheffield Council Bereavement Services on 0114 239 6068 ? They do lookups I think but may make a small charge.
Best wishes, John

Angela T
Hi Marlene

I have found Pauline Peatfield Rodgers was buried 27 Dec 1881 at Wardsend

Angela
Hi Marlene

There is also a burial in Thurgoland for Jane Rodgers aged 22, 3 November 1882

Angela

Sorry can't edit previous post.

The burial registers gives Jane's abode as Sheffield

Angela

That could be correct as Jane Rodgers was born in Thurgoland. I shall check this out

Hi Marlene,
A Sheffield Telegraph newspaper obit. for Pauline Peatfield Rodgers on Family Search website records George Rodgers as Pauline Peatfield Rodgers spouse.

On BMD, there is a marriage between a George Rodgers and Paulina(e) Peatfield WHEATMAN in Dec.qtr. of 1842 at Ecclesall Bierlow.

Also of note but not necessarily a link, a birth is registered on GRO for ROBERT RODGERS B:1844 March qtr. Rotherham Dist. mmn WHEATMAN and also a possible death in 1845 Jun qtr. RHD age 1.

George Rodgers does not appear with Pauline (described as widowed/dressmaker) on the 1851 census so maybe he died between 1842 and 1851. Leaving a question of who is the father of Hamlin Peatfield Rodgers B:1855 to Pauline..??

Pauline was recorded as being 32 years old on the 1851 census so in 1842 she would be about 23 when she married George.
There was a death in Sheffield on GRO for a George Rodgers, 1845 Dec. qtr. age 26. No deaths in Rotherham between 1842-1851 that I can find and only a few more deaths in Sheffield which are in a higher age bracket.
HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy: