Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Street name, job title and a wife

Can anybody help with the following, On the 1939 register on Find My Past for Percy Bamforth it has his address as "36 Thinya Street Sheffield" , would that be Thirza Street but the interpretation is wrong? Also his occupation is down as "Cutlomy Glazier & Dresser"??? And lastly his wife Elsie A Bamforth, d.o.b 18th November 1910, anyone know when she died?
Thanks
Mick

Re: Street name, job title and a wife

Hi Mick

Looking at the original, it is Thirza Street. The confusion seems to have been caused by the way in which the enumerator wrote the letter z. For Percy’s occupation, I read it as Cutlery Glazier & Dresser but I’ve never heard of that as an occupation so, hopefully, someone else will do a better job deciphering it. Plus, FMP have mis-transcribed the date of birth for Elsie; she was born in 1900 not 1910. Her death registration is on FMP, she died in 1983.

FMP’s standard of transcribing isn’t great. It’s caused me no end of problems trying to locate people in the 1921 census.

Carol

Thank you Carol,
I can't find anything for her date of death / place of burial or her husband Percy Bamforth, think I've come across his date of death 1981 but that's it.
Thanks
Mick

Marlenes transcription of the occupation makes perfect sense. Basically he finished cutlery.
Dave