Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mekison, Makinson and variants

Hi everyone,

Any help would be great with breaking down my brick wall.

Sarah Corbidge married Thomas Mekison on the 19th April 1747 at the then St Peter and St Paul Parish church in Sheffield.

Thomas remarries after Sarahs death.

I'm in Parish Records and that's the only information available to me from the original register of 1736.

I've worked my way back from my grandfather and proved the line so everything is ok until this entry via the records kept in the Sheffield Archives.

I've found a Sarah born 1710 from Bradfield(Latter Day Saints site) query is why would she not marry at her local church.
There is a large family of Corbidges living there going back some years.
The descendants of Mekison in the late 1700s were living in the Bents Green area which is about 13 miles from Bradfield.Is the journey possible.

My Thomas Mekison (one generation later there is a name change to Makinson)not really found any possibles. Nothing which I could prove.

All advice and suggestions welcome

thank you

Re: Mekison, Makinson and variants

Hi Jean,

Many Bradfield families chose to be married at Sheffield Parish Church. Maybe Sarah was working in Sheffield so it was easier for the marriage to take place there.

If you look at Parish Records over to the left and the index will come up. Scroll down and near the bottom of the page you will see Bradfield Parish Records from 1559-1727. The copy of the registers found there are not easy to scroll through but I did find the baptism of Sarah.

Sarah daughter of Jonathan Corbidge Baptized April 27th 1710.

Like yourself I then went to Family Search and found Jonathan's Baptism, Marriage & Burial. He died Dec 1712. Mary his wife remarried but not until
1720. Thats if its the correct Mary Corbidge.

Many years ago I did a one name study of "Dungworth" name and Francis "Dongworth" married a Mary Corbidge in 1698 in Bradfield.

Sorry I can't help with the Makinson name.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

The Chapelry of Bradfield covered a large area and was bordered on the south and east by the river Rivelin. So it came to within 5 miles from Bents Green. Those living in that area of the Chapelry (south and east of Stannington which is atop the ridge) would find it an easier journey to Sheffield Parish Church than to Bradfield St Nicholas.
Dave

Hi Elaine,

Yes there she is Sarah in Bradfield with Jonathan her father, it's very tempting to slot her into the tree but I can't prove it.
I have to take into account that all Parish records haven't been transcribed and even when they are the information is minimal. I had thought of slotting her into the tree as a possibility, What do you think?

In fact I had thought of researching the whole clan in Bradfield out of interest and see how they fit together as families. The chances of them not being related is slight. It's a small village even now, I knew the area in the 1980s.

I was very interested to read your comment on the Dungworth connection to Corbidge in the time when Sarah would have grown up.

It was lovely to see your name come up I remember we had correspondence at some point many years ago. How time rumbles on and we are still doing our trees.

Thank you for your comments it is so good for someone else to caste an eye over my tree I appreciate you taking the time.

Regards

Jean

Hi Jean,

Nice to hear from you again.

I would certainly consider starting a one name study of the Bradfield clan.

That's how I ended up doing four one name studies.
The register that I mentioned shows the Corbidge name with other suggestions of Corbage, Corbidge and Corbige. That covers 1559-1727.

Malcolm Nunn at Bradfield Archives would be a good contact as well.
DaveT who looks after our FORUM is also a good source for suggestion on researching Bradfield Archives. Malcolm and I transcribed Bradfield registers from 1723 to 1840. Missing some entries that we were unable to transcribe due to damage.

Take care and have fun.

Elaine in Ottawa ( we had 20+ inches of snow in the last 24hrs.)

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Dave

Thank you for your comments.

That is very interesting what you have said about the borders.

How would people have traveled then, do you know. I hadn't much thought about it other than just walking.

Jean

Samuel Taylor Coleridge visited Underbank Chapel in 1796 and of his journey from Sheffield, he recorded
'I trudged thither over hill and dale thro' a worse road than ever Flibbertigibbet led poor Tom. It was now dark; and into pits and out of pits and against stones I contrived to stumble some mile and a half out of my way.'
F T Wood, A History of Underbank Chapel 1944 P59

Dave

Hi Jean,

I have a Martha Corbidge in my tree. She was baptized in Hathersage in 1776. Her father was John Corbidge (a mason??) and he might have married Hannah Wragg in Hope in 1771. The tentative line back from there is Robert Corbidge, a miller born ca. 1701 Sheffield. His parents were possibly Robert (also a miller) and Martha Matley who married in Bradfield in 1691.

I haven’t got any further back than there so far.

Heths

Hi everyone,

I've been so busy sorting out all the amount of research I've done over the years and continuing to research, I've not checked out the forum for a while.

Elaine, I hope you survived the 20' of snow to research another day.LOL

Heather Thank you for commenting, I have Martha etc on my list thank you for the info.

The Bradfield Parish Church volunteers have done a sterling job (a big thank to them all) of not only transcribing the register but in providing an index so I managed to check out all my names.

I have a list of names which is on the to do list.

Well must get to bed it's 1.15am.

Regards

Jean