Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fred Ibbotson marriage 1901

I'm looking at a marriage for Fred Ibbotson & Alice Ann Parkin 1901 Wortley. Trying to confirm if Fred's father is a William Ibbotson deceased.

Re: Fred Ibbotson marriage 1901

Hi David,

Fred is a labourer, his father is George Ibbotson, engineer.

Do you still need the full entry?

Moira.

Many thanks Moira. I had reservations that my grand uncle Fred every married becouse of other details I have. Your details have probably confirmed that.

Moira

May I ask if you have anything on a marriage between Fred Ibbotson & Mary Autey/ Mary Window. They both have the same reference Sept 1934 9c 1187 Ecclesall B. My Fred would have been 56 and father William, deceased.

Just cannot find Fred for 1911 or 1939. I know he is with his sister Charlotte (Ibbotson) Cocker in 1921 & 1954 at Stanley Fold Oughtibridge. Still unsure if he ever married?

Regards David

Hi David,

I have the following in my tree but I thought we had discounted any connection.

IBBOTSON, Frederick (of Four Acres, born 08-12-1860).
Baptised 27-07-1862, by Wm Knight at Church of the Ascension, Oughtibridge.
Parents name(s) are Harriet & William (Labourer).

Is this the chap you are looking for?

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Elaine

Sorry not the right Fred.

HI David,

Only the GRO marriage registration is on FMP.

What is his actual date of birth please?

Moira.

Hi Moira. I have Fred's birth as 25 Nov 1878. Regards David

David, I do not have the marriage details but I can confirm that Mary Autey was born 1883, so 51 at the marriage. She was divorced from her husband Robert Thomas Window. The grounds for divorce was adultery by one or both of them.
Dave

Hi Dave. Many thanks for that

Hi Dave

I'm re-looking at info regarding Fred Ibbotson & Mary Autey/Window. Can I ask were you got the details from regarding the divorce between Mary and Robert Thomas Window. Regards

"Just cannot find Fred for 1911"
There is couple whose names match the 1901 marriage.
1911 census (Ancestry)
69 Heywood Park, Deepcar, Stocksbridge
Fred Ibbotson head 32, stationary engine driver, steel works, born Sheffield,
Alice Ann Ibbotson wife 37, married 10 years, 3 children, 3 living. born Oughtibridge, Bradfield
Amy Ibbotson, daughter 9, born Wharnecliffe Side
Winnifred Ibbotson, daughter 6, born Wharnecliffe Side
George Ernest (indexed as Earnest) Ibbotson, son 4, born Wharnecliffe Side

Just cannot find Fred ... or 1939
A possibility for the 1901 couple (with a nearby address to 1911):
1939 register, Stocksbridge
62 Hayward Park
Ibbotson, Fred, 29 Dec 78, M(arried), motor attendant steel works
Ibbotson, Alice A, 1 Feb 74, M, unpaid domestic duties

There are 6 Fred Ibbotson births (BMD) Dec 1878 - March 1879 quarters (3 Sheffield, 1 Ecclesall B)!

David,
It is clear from the marriage that Mary was divorced from Robert Window. The year was 1934. At that time the only allowable grounds for divorce was adultery by at least one partner.
That legal situation did not change until 1937. Google "Holy Deadlock*
Dave

OK Dave many thanks for info.

Hi Terry

I cannot find Fred on 1911 either. 1901 Fred was single with family at Stanley Fold Oughtibridge. I think Fred & Mary (Autey/Window) are at 8 Renishaw Wood View Renishaw Chesterfield for the 1939. I then believe Mary died 1953 Chesterfield and by the 1954 Electoral Reg Fred is back with family at Stanley Fold Oughtibridge ( not sure if the original electoral Reg would show he was a widower) but I may be wrong on this!!!!

Hi David I,
Have you seen the baptism record on this site for:

FRED IBBOTSON (of 4ct. Dun Street)
Born: Nov/25th/1879..?? (I think 1878)
Baptized: Jan/29th/1879 at St.Jude, Moorfields
Parents: Elizabeth & William (File Cutter).
The GRO Reg is B:1879 March qtr.Sheffield. MMN:SWAIN (a March registration on GRO could also apply to a birth in the last quarter of the previous year).
There were a number of children baptized to this couple, one of whom was Charlotte Matilda(also with mmn.Swain) and are mentioned in S.I. Parish Records under baptisms on this site over to your left.

Note to Elaine: FYI The S.I. record shows the birth after the baptism..??
HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Hi Wendy,

Thanks for the heads up. I have changed it but as I no longer have the originals I wasn't able to follow up what had happened.

IBBOTSON, FRED SWAIN
GRO Reference: 1879 M Quarter in SHEFFIELD Volume 09C Page 429

From the GRO Index.

Elaine.

Interesting that the FamilySearch transcription also has the 25 November 1879 birth and 29 January 1879 baptism.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:66BR-R8LS
Their image is only viewable at Family Search centres and affiliates.

Can now confirm from birth certificate that Fred Ibbotson was born 25 Nov 1878 and his birth was registered 3 Jan 1879. So assume his baptism should read 1879. Regards

Elaine in Ottawa
Hi Wendy,

Thanks for the heads up. I have changed it but as I no longer have the originals I wasn't able to follow up what had happened.

IBBOTSON, FRED SWAIN
GRO Reference: 1879 M Quarter in SHEFFIELD Volume 09C Page 429

From the GRO Index.

Elaine.
Hi Elaine

Just to confirm that the original image does have the birth as

25 Nov 1879

And the Baptism date of 29 Jan 1879.

So the birth date was recorded as after the baptism date.

Our original transcription was correct and it was an error made by the minister at the time.

Denise

Hi Denise,

Yup it happens, especially when a child is born at the end of a year but not registered until the new year.The Vicar then carries on with a new mistake. But we have it sorted for Dave now. LOL.

Elaine.

Yes I thank you all. I have taken advantage of the new £2.50 digital image certs from GRO and caught up on the last birth Certs for the children of my William & Elizabeth (ggp) which I had not got.....BUT still missing one..Edith Ibbotson 1874-1877. She is on SI baptism record, and is buried in Loxley with Elizabeth's Swain family members (Elaine's find). But cannot find Edith on GRO with a mmn Swain?