Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Annie Maria Speight

The 1921 census has given me a headache. I have found my Great Grandfather living where I expected him in Bailey street but he has a boarder called Annie Maria Woolston, along with a Charles Henry Woolston who is visiting (both shown as married). My Great Granddad went on to marry this Annie Maria in 1923, her father's name shown as Charles Henry William Speight (soldier). The 1921 census showed that Annie Maria was born in London.

I have now discovered that her husband wasn't Charles Henry Woolston but John Charles Woolston who she married in 1915 as a widow called Annie Maria Linley. This is my problem....I cannot find a birth for Annie Maria Speight born 1870 (she was aged 51 years 5 months in June 1921). Also I cannot find a marriage or a death for Annie marrying a Mr Linley.

Any ideas, can't even find her father marrying anyone or army records even though he's a soldier on 2 marriage registers.

Re: Annie Maria Speight

Hi Wendy,
IF I am on the right track, there was a marriage in 1865 March qtr. at Holborn Middlesex between CHARLES WILLIAM SPEIGHT and ELIZABETH STUMP.
They had at least six cildren all born in The Strand, London., one of whom was:
MARIA MARY ANN SPEIGHT gro birth reg: 1865 March qtr. Strand, London. mmn STUMP. I realise the birth year does not fit with the age on the 1921 census.

There is a marriage on BMD for a MARIA M.A. SPEIGHT to a WILLIAM GEORGE RICHARDSON in 1886 June qtr, at St.Saviour/Southwark/Surrey/London.

I cannot find a marriage for Maria (Speight or Richardson) to a Linley. Just her marriage in 1918 as
ANNIE M. LINLEY to JOHN C. WOOLSTON. in Sheffield.

A very, very long shot is a marriage of a JOHN LINLEY to MINNIE WOOLSTON in 1912 Dec. qtr. in Leeds. Minnie could possibly be Annie and maybe she married a rellie of John Charles first...??? but the Leeds connection is not a good fit.
HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Hi Wendy,
Thanks for looking. I'm not at home at the moment but will certainly look into your findings when I get back.

Hi Wendy,
After an intensive search and going down the line of the marriage you found, I have had to dismiss it in the end. On each of her marriage records she stated her father was a soldier but the one you found is a publisher and I couldn't find any military records for him. The only conclusion I have come across is that she was possibly born abroad but have looked in the FMP records and can't find anything there either. Decided to leave it, don't know where else to look. Thanks anyway.
Wendy

Long shot here but perhaps Charles Henry Woolston was the brother of John Henry and it was pure coincidence they were visiting that day.

Regarding the surname Linley, could in fact the surname be LINDLEY its just the vicar misheard the name etc and especially if they signed with their mark she would not know it hadf been spelt wrongly.

Regarding SPEIGHT yes he could be the father of Annie Maria but if her parents marrried after she was born the name on the GRO would be blank because it would be classed as being illegitimate.

So we really need to check the GRO for 1870 for an Annie Maria with a maiden name left blank then a marriage for that surname for a match to a Speight

what do the others think?