Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1921 census

Hi does anyone have access to the 1921 census I thought I would be able to view at the library on ancestry but it’s not available... the person I’m looking for is Henry George Phillips Bn 1917 he should be with Elsie and Fred Richardson....thank you for reading regards Janet

Re: 1921 census

The 1921 Census is only available on FMP
There is no Henry (or Harry) Phil(l)ips living with a Richardson.
Dave

Hi just an idea I think Elsie and Fredrick maybe using the surname Phillips Henry was their half brother... thank you

Hi Janet , 1921 census is only on Find My Past & not available by subscription. Anyone can set up an account & access it; cost is £2.50 for transcription of a page & £3.50 for image of actual page
John

You do not need an account to search the index.
Henry G Phillips (1917) is with Fred Phillips (1906, ELISE Phillips(1909) and one other
Dave

Many thanks 👍

Hi thanks for the information I only have internet access on my pay as you go phone and I don’t have a visa/ debit card to join FMP hence my asking for help thank you

I had trouble locating my Grandfather on 1921 census but luckily I knew his Mum had remarried after my Great Grandfather died in 1907 so I checked under his stepfather surname and found him.

I have found my Mum on the 1921 census.she was 19years of age, She married my Dad in 1922. when I first saw the census I thought as head of household my grandma had lovely hand writing.As I read more I realised the writing was my Dad's.He had copperplate writing and all our famiy always commented on it.So was he trying to impress his future mother in law ? It really made me smile a lot that this census had been away for 100 hundred years,I hope Dad was looking down and smiling too.

Does the 1921 show the person's address at time of census? Looking at an example page on FMP it doesn't seem to.

Yes
Dave
Edit you can search the index by address.

It’s quite surprising but the persons address is not on the actual census page but on the following page . So when on are the census page you need to press the right arrow to get the next page which shows the address . This page is free when you have bought the census page.

OK many thanks for info

Hi All

Are we taking bets as to how long it will be before FMP makes the 1921 census accessible via subscription with no extra charge?

I note FMP say "up to" 3 years before any other Genealogy company get it. That could be less time than the 3 years of course, as I don't remember waiting a year for Ancestry to get the 1911 census after FMP got it. Does anyone else remember?

Once FMP come to their senses and realise that the way they are charging extra on top of Pro annual subscription (albeit discounted) is sheer profiteering, and will make serious researchers hopefully take a stand. Like me! I was all set to purchase a Pro annual FMP subscription this year, the first ever for me at FMP, assuming it would include access to 1921 census. I'm a staunch Ancestry fan, until recently, as they seem to have redesigned the look and some searches. I've had a break away from full on family research for about 3 years, so am behind the times, even on Ancestry, but kept my annual subscription for the odd dabble on an evening. I shall be keeping my Ancestry subscription now, but am sad that Ancestry seem to be stuck in a time warp and don't seem to add to their records in any major way. i.e access to newspapers, which would be very useful to me to break down a few brick walls. Any ideas on access to newspapers? I'd pay a subscription but not to FMP at present.

If enough annual subscribers to FMP make a stand, they would have to include it in the annual subscription.

Dave T
You do not need an account to search the index.
Henry G Phillips (1917) is with Fred Phillips (1906, ELISE Phillips(1909) and one other
Dave
Dave T
How is the index searched on FMP please without an account? I see only two search buttons,

1 Name and
2 Address

and after I have entered the information on either search it just says a number of results and that takes you to an account sign up page to view the census pages.No difference on with route, so what am I doing wrong please?

Ann

You simply need to hold an account, but not pay a subscription.
Dave

Just realised that that even without (non paying) account you can select Advanced Search
Dave