Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Joseph Ibbotson marriage. Oakes Farm Bradfield

Joseph Ibbotson 1763-1834 Oakes farm Bradfield. I am trying to clarify the correct marriage for him, either, 1786 Martha Bramall or 1787 Sarah Ashforth (both on this site) it seems his first son Joseph was born 1789 who married Deborah Hague. According to a document from Sheffield Archives for the Ibbotson & Hallam families of Oak farm it seems to say his wife was Sarah, but I'm not sure. Any help appreciated.

Re: Joseph Ibbotson marriage. Oakes Farm Bradfield

Could he have married both wife one dying?

Hi John. Not sure about that.

Hi David,

The Joseph Ibbotson bap 13 June 1790 was the son of Joseph of Onesacre.

Joseph Ibbotson bap 20 Oct 1793, son of Joseph of Oakes.

There are quite a few more baptisms where the father Joseph Ibbotson
is either of 'Oakes' or 'Ones acre'.

Sarah Ibbotson, 68yrs, buried 29 June 1837, of Oakes, widow.

Martha Ibbotson, 68yrs, buried 1 Sep 1833, of Low Bradfield.

All the above at St Nicholas, Bradfield.

Hope this helps.

Moira.

Hi Moira

Once again many thanks. It does help, and seems to confirm Sarah. Regards David

Joseph Ibbotson marriage. Oakes Farm Bradfield

As a follow on : The article I have from Sheffield Archives states there is a Monumental Inscription at St Nicholas Church for Joseph Ibbotson of Oakes who died 19 Aug 1834 & Sarah Ibbotson of Oakes who died 10 July 1837. Would anyone be able to assist with possible details I'm assuming there will be a headstone?

Hi David,

If you go to our MI section (over to the left) you have three options for a Bradfield MI.

Bradfield Archives are very helpful. S&DFHS I believe have transcribed the MI's and their CD will be available from GenFair.

I am sure Angela will correct me if I am wrong. Thanks Angela.

Elaine.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi David,
Find A Grave does not appear to have a monument for JOSEPH AND SARAH but they do for ROBERT AND DEBORAH
Both buried in same grave in St.Nicholas Churchyard, High Bradfield. With a very touching epitaph.

You can see the photo via Family Search website by typing in birth and death details for ROBERT, then going to the Find A Grave link.

Robert appears to have been the second child of Joseph and Sarah, their first child was an unnamed daughter who was baptized in 1788. Joseph was their 4th child. I believe their were nine recorded baptisms.
Their baptisms can be found on this website (S.I.)

ROBERT IBBOTSON (age 45) married DEBORAH HAGUE (age 40) on December 30th 1840. See this website.

On Family Search there is a probate record for ROBERT held at Wakefield, 10th Oct,1871. Beneficiary: Deborah Ibbotson-2nd Ben. Henry Fairest and Other:Fretwell Hudson
HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Hi David

There are a number of transcriptions for IBBOTSON at Bradfield as you can imagine.
This is the one for Joseph and Sarah:

A224
Sacred to the memory of JOSEPH IBBOTSON of Oaks who departed this life August
19th 1834 aged 71 years. Also SARAH wife of the above named who departed this
life July 10th 1837 aged 68 years. Also GEORGE son of the above who died January
16th 1872 aged 64 years.

I haven't looked at your query in any detail, but I will and get back to you with any transcriptions that appear relevant

Angela

Hi David

This is the next grave A223 and Joseph and Sarah are A224

A223
In memory of JOSEPH the son of JOSEPH AND SARAH IBBOTSON of Oaks who departed
this life February 6th 1823 aged 29 years. Also of ELIZABETH his daughter who
departed this life October 17th 1825 aged 2 years.

Angela

Hi Angela

Many thanks for the details.

David

The 1841 show Robert & Deborah Ibbotson at Oakes along with a John Crawshaw aged 6 & Mary Crawshaw aged 9. There are baptism records (this site) for both with parents John & Amelia. There is also a marriage record (this site) for John Crawshaw & Amelia Ibbotson 1829 which I assume is them. Trying to verify Amelia's birth, possibly 1808 & father. Regards.

Hi David,

Just so you don't get down about not finding Amelia keep looking.

I have looked at St Nicholas, Underbank Chapel & St Mary Ecclesfield for her with no luck.

Malcolm Nunn might be worth contacting at Bradfield but he and I did the transcription for St Nicholas together. Some of the pages were very hard to read or damaged so she could have been missed.

I remember vaguely that there was a mix up with the name of Amelia & Millicent.It could have had nothing to do with an Ibbotson.

Ibbotson, Milley (of Oaks, born ~).
Baptised May 17, 1812, by ~ at St Nicholas, Bradfield.
Parents name(s) are ~ & Joseph (~).

Gosh how did I remember that. LOL.

How I came up with that was to look at the baptisms on the site by just filling in St Nicholas and the surname of Ibb*.

Joseph seems to be the father listed for children born at either "Oakes" or "Ones Acre"

Not saying I am correct but worth another look at.

Elaine in a Blizzard blowing Ottawa.

Hi Elaine

Thanks for info, yes will keep looking. There is also an Emanuel & Ann Crawshaw (this site) born Upper Thornseat with parents John & Amelia. Looking at Upper Thornseat it seems to be close to Bradfield so possibly same family therefore worth a look into.

Looks like a plan,

Keep going.

Elaine.